This is My Escape | Teen Ink

This is My Escape

By katyrai95 BRONZE, Willow Hill, Illinois
katyrai95 BRONZE, Willow Hill, Illinois

My favorite personal quote would probably be "If you love somebody, set them free. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were." This quote is what my friend and I used when we broke up after 3 years.

I walk alone through an empty garden. The tall plants are waving at me in the early autumn breeze. The trees are turning from green to a million shades of red, orange, and even purple. The flowers hold the last blooms of the season. A bird starts singing in the tree above me. In seconds, the garden is alive. Small animals run through the branches and across the ground. A fawn is walking clumsily through a patch of dandelions. She walks up to me, nudging my hand with her nose. She walks away, stopping every few steps to turn and look at me. I get up and follow her to a quiet stream. The water is clear as crystals. There are small round rocks covering the bottom. A fish swims to the surface and spits water at my bare feet. I sink to my knees, falling backward into the cool, green grass. The little fawn and various other animals are bedding down in the grass around me. A large turtle swims to the side of the stream. A large deer pushes me into the water by the turtle. I climb onto his back and lay down. He moves slowly down the stream, rocking me to sleep. I begin to hear waves in the distance. I smell the salt water as we get closer. I drift to sleep, listening to the ocean. When I open my eyes again, I am home. The sun is shining happily through my window. The light reflecting off of the water makes it sparkle onto my ceiling. Looking at the water, I think about my night. I was in my wonderland again. A place in my mind.

This is not a normal poem. It is about a dream. Written into more of a story format, it describes a place I go when I just need to get away from all of the drama and stress of life.