Writer's Block | Teen Ink

Writer's Block

May 15, 2011
By Katzaklaw BRONZE, Woodland Park, New Jersey
Katzaklaw BRONZE, Woodland Park, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all she's left.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember her only that she is gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back.
Or you can do what she'd want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on.”
-David Harkins


I, at any given time and in any place, like to write. Outside, during class, at home, on vacation, I'm always writing.

Too often, however, this demon inside of me devours my creativity. It's the hardest thing for a writer to overcome. What is it, you ask?

Writer's block, of course.

So often, I listen to music, hoping it will destroy these demons inside of me. Up-beat techno music, slow and somber music, crazy metal music. Nothing seems to clear those demons.

So often, I watch some of my favorite shows. Soul Eater, Yu Yu Hakusho, School Rumble. Still, the demons eat away at my mind and my sanity.

So often, I get to stressed out that I just go and take a walk. I stomp around, up and down the sidewalks, in anger. But when I calm down and look around, I see beautiful flowers and birds and plants. So many things, and so many inspirations. I just look up and I look around...

And I've found the sword, the magic words, the spell to vanquish them.

To vanquish those demons inside of me.

To vanquish that thing that writers know as an incurable state of the mind; an incurable 'disease'.

To vanquish Writer's block.


The author's comments:
Well... I had writer's block for quite some time when writing a Soul Eater fan-fiction. I got so mad at myself, because it was so good up to the point where i had stopped. I just saved it and tucked it away in my folder for unfinished one-shots on my computer. About two months later, as I was walking home...

Inspiration hit me.

I remembered that incident when I re-read that story today. What I really hope you guys grab from this, even non-writers, if that nothing is really impossible. When something bad happens, try to let go and make the most of it. In the end, it matters, and it helps. Most people see Writer's block as, at times, impossible to get through. Go take a walk, walk around some stores or something. It's worth it in the end!