Conqueror | Teen Ink

Conqueror

By austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

...one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love....I love...I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. -Mr. Darcy

Winter lasts forever
parasitic in nature as it
clings to the land
and spreads its ugliness
dull browns, muted grays
color the horizon
until spring comes as
a glorious conqueror and
dispels the hideous beast
from the land, bringing back
color and life where it had been
lost

on Jul. 29 2011 at 12:48 pm
ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota

"Touch comes before sight, before speech. It is the first language and the last, and it always tells the truth."- Margaret Atwood

Oh gosh, now I totally get it.  Yeah, once it snows into April, I just wish it would all go away.  Definitely agree.

austenite GOLD said...
on Jul. 29 2011 at 11:26 am
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thank you!  And, as a Wisconsin girl, I enjoy winter as well - until it's the middle of March and the nasty, slushy snow won't leave! :)

on Jul. 28 2011 at 12:07 am

I love the format, especially how you seperated "lost" at the very end.  It gives it a, dare I say, wintery feel.  Although, as a Minnesota girl, I am inclined to disagree with the message- I love winter!  But still a lovely poem, nonetheless.

austenite GOLD said...
on Jun. 28 2011 at 6:15 pm
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

thank you!

austenite GOLD said...
on Jun. 28 2011 at 6:12 pm
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thanks! Snow up here can go from October to April (we had 2 snowstorms in April this year!), so it's definitely a nice change when spring rolls around!

on Jun. 26 2011 at 3:14 pm
freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

I really like this.

BillM GOLD said...
on Jun. 26 2011 at 2:46 pm
BillM GOLD, JACKSONVILLE, Florida
Well written; I especially like that you didn't use punctuation.  It gives the poem a more cyclical feel (like the seasons) and gets the message across.  Although I can't relate as well (since I live in Florida and we get no snow), I know what snow is and can definately imagine.  Great work.

austenite GOLD said...
on Jun. 24 2011 at 9:04 am
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thanks very much! And about the line breaks.....I didn't have a plan, I just went with it :) We had to write it in 3 minutes for a class, plus I'm not the greatest poet alive....haha thanks anyways!

on Jun. 23 2011 at 10:08 pm
TwasBrilling BRONZE, Staunton, Va, Virginia

"The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk" -H.W. Hegel

"Words are our most inexhaustable source of magic' -Albus Dumbledore

This is great! I especially love the "until spring comes/ as a glorious conquerer and/dispels the hideous beast" Sometimes I felt that the line breaks were a little off, but still, it was really good!

austenite GOLD said...
on Jun. 16 2011 at 7:42 pm
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

Thank you! I actually don't think I'm that great at poetry either, so it's nice to hear that it's okay, especially since it was kind of an experiment :)

on Jun. 16 2011 at 6:23 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I'm not great at poetry, but I could picture everything in this poem. I like your pacing; it kind of got me wondering where you were going with this. It was really creative. I like it a lot :)