Abandoning Hope This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I love to sit
Listening to the birds
Singing sweet songs of redemption.
Their melodious whistling
Speaks to my soul,
Promising the hope of a new life.
In that single, solitary moment
I see it.
But something moves,
Makes a noise,
And it fades.
I try in pointless vanity
To call it back,
So it may speak to my soul once more,
But hope turns a deaf ear to my cries
And vanishes.
My dreams
And heart
Break simultaneously,
Because it's just not fair.
Why will hope linger for some
And abandon others?
I've tried to reverse it
And abandon hope,
But I still cling to it
Against my own will.
It only leads to disappointment.
Hope brings only despair
Unless it is kind enough
To quit teasing the hopeless,
The desperate,
And become reality.

memsoccerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome work!

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. This was really good. Congrats on getting it in the magazine-- you do deserve it. If you could -and wanted to- check out some of my work, that would be great; you don't have to, though. I really like this!

Mandiella This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is beautiful and powerful. I'm happy it is published in the magazine! You use lovely word choice . . . "melodious" is a melodious word. :) My favorite line is, "Hope turns a deaf ear to my cries". Fantastic job!!!

Kidlet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 9:11 am
Thank you so much. :)

Foreverandeverwriting said...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 5:45 am
Thankss! :) I love yourrr work too

Falling.Up. said...
this was amazing! it drew me in on the first line! you have a true gift!

Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:09 am
Thanks. :)

Foreverandeverwriting said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 7:31 am
Wow, i can relate to this so much. Extremely well written =) Do check out my work tooo! 

Nov. 1, 2011 at 11:43 am
I adore A Letter to God. :)

Lexie96 said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 7:00 am

The title drew me in and from there I deeply enjoyed it. I also found it to be very relatable in the lines where you said that you were clinging to it against your will. I think a lot of people, myself included, do that.

Check out my work sometime?

Nov. 1, 2011 at 11:38 am
I really, really like Back to Innocence. I can definetely relate. Very nice! :)

Paramour13 replied...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:13 am
Agreed, Back to Innocence was very good :)

Haha, hey Paramour13. :)