The Self-Proclaimed

Charlatan-- boaster
But not fool
For so are the meek;
The modest, and the silent monarchs
Who from appraisal hide
Be worm who announces "Cobra!"
As clever as the fox
And painter advertising blank canvas
Sharp as flattened head

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I suppose it's likely that you have tired of receiving my comments by now, but I will plow on all the same!

Again, I am reminded of the brilliance of Emily Dickinson; where the reader at first thinks the poet's style to be conservative. But at the deepest level, that is not at all so. The nature of your metaphor is such that freedom is granted to the ideas which you present behind the lines. I very much liked the concept of the 'boaster,' especially the "worm who announces 'cobra!'" Su... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm :
London Eye, why do you write poetry? If you think that to be an obvious question, then I will ask instead: why do you post your poetry on Teenink?

LondonEye replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm :
Oh goodness ... how could you ever believe that I do not appreciate your comments? In fact, the excitement I experience when I read your kind comments is almost unreasonable! I nearly wish I knew who you were so that I could thank you properly. Being compared to Emily Dickinson is probably the best compliment I've ever received. Why do I write? Hm, well, my first reason is probably common among all poets/artists/writers: I need some creative outlet, some means by which I ma... (more »)

Aug. 15, 2011 at 4:24 pm :

I am so very glad to hear that!

I loved reading your answer, because I find that my reason for writing is much the same. I'm fairly reserved as well, and people often think me to be empy-minded, so I am attempting to prove otherwise to a different audience. I want to leave evidence of my substance, I suppose; so that it does not die when I die. When I am creating, I don't feel like my being is in vain. Part of it, I guess, is indescribable for me; sometimes I have to force myself ... (more »)