Oceanic Love and Hate

I hate the ocean.

However, August loves it. He loves the way the salt sticks to him until he washes it all off in the shower. He loves the aqua color of the Caribbean, and how he can see the cream colored fish swim in between his open legs. He loves the burn in his eyes when he accidentally opens them too early in the water. He loves how the waves lap at his ankles like a dog lapping up water after a long walk in the summer. He loves the ocean.

I hate the ocean.

not_my_problem said...
wow. this was really amazing. dang i dont know why but i started crying when i read this. really GOOD work

AbigailElizabeth replied...
That means so much to me! Thank you!

kelly 123 said...
Your writing is really inspirational. I've been reading your stuff for some time now, and it's really amazing. I've read this one over and over and I don't understand it... What does it mean? Great writing!

AbigailElizabeth replied...
thank you so much! that means a lot to me to hear I inspire people. this is a free verse that i wrote, and it can mean whatever you want to interpret it to mean. personally to me, its a representation of all the beauty in the world that we become numb to because of what we experience in life that brings us pain.