A day to rememeber

The waves crash, the sky cries, we can only hope the board slides along the foam like a pencil along paper. Leaving behind a trail that all can see but wouldn’t trace. The sun hides as the thunder yells with terror, light breaks the darkness. We should have left but we stayed. We stayed to feel the rain slide along our skin, to feel the waves that would carry us to shore, to see the darkness we would explore. It was warm; the way the water felt on your skin, you wanted to lay there back against the board, hands dangling over. Just sleep, sleep on the water you live on. Waves crashed over us and the safest place was in the dark blueness of the undiscovered world. Dark but the way the light of the flashes shine on the rocks and shells grabs you and pulls you in, we would have stayed, but the ache in our lungs, desired air. Gasping we rose. Only to leave the home of the unknown, only to find the day has come to an end. That light is showing, the sun is done hiding, the waves rest, and the sky no longer cries.