Shooting Star | Teen Ink

Shooting Star

By Penfencer BRONZE, Amherst, Massachusetts
Penfencer BRONZE, Amherst, Massachusetts

"I see you have a sword. I have one too. They're very ... manly. And ... tough."
-Mulan

I have never fallen in a shower of stars.

They tell me
It is life shattering

They tell me
It is like waking up in a sea of blue

They tell me
It is our ancestors calling to us
Our hearts exploding to join them

And as our fire
Streams down
Like a thousand silver ribbons in a rushing waterfall
Our souls
Hiss
In that sea of awakening
Steam rising up to heaven’s bowl of sky

And our sparks melt into the earth
And the roots are the buds of our new life

And we sprout
Up to that sky

To greet the brothers of our future.

This is one of those poems that just springs up out of nowhere. I had five minutes before I had to run off to do something else, and I was almost about to close my notebook, but then I stopped. I was thinking about the writing prompt, "Write about something you have never done," and I thought, "I have never fallen in a shower of stars." Then the rest just came in a blur. It was one of those awe-inspiring experiences where you truly feel that the poem is coming through you, that you are only a conduit for something that needs to be put on paper. It was amazing.

on Jul. 19 2011 at 7:06 am

-Mulan

Thanks! Yeah, I think writing about that would definitely be worthwhile. I'll let you know if I post a piece about it!

Arco_Sine BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois
"It was one of those awe-inspiring experiences where you truly feel that the poem is coming through you, that you are only a conduit for something that needs to be put on paper."- That was important. Please write something that has to do with this quote of yours. It really is incredible.