Considering the Lies

I consider the lies
Made up of light
Reflecting in the mirror,
The image of who
I’m perceived to be.
Hair the color of wheat,
Flowing around my head
Threatening to strangle me,
Stop the words.
My slight lips
That struggle to hold up the smile
I’m so well known for.
Big cheeks
Held in place
By that forced grin.
My plain nose.
A freckle here and there.
I see it all
Through my mismatched eyes.
One a light clear blue,
For the easy happiness
Most immediately see;
The other is darker, deeper,
A dirty oil spill in the ocean
Of my all-seeing eye.
The difference only noticeable
When I’m not wearing
My coat of shadows
Or my camisole of light.
Only when the light and dark mix
Can I be who I truly am,
Can the real me be seen.
Bright or gloomy,
Morose or happy
With nothing to hide.
I have been lied to.
Called beautiful and strong.
Called perfect and amazing
When I’m only average.
Those words are meaningless now,
Shattered like the mirror
That mere seconds ago
Held all the answers.
I consider the shards full of lies.

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 7:46 pm:
this is amazing i really like it! i think its really relateable too, it...made a difference to my day :) in a good way, good job! :)

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm :
I'm so glad :) and of course, many thanks.

Dark_Mind said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm:
This was just wonderful...Your Imagery was so fantastic the way it mixed together was superb. Keep writing..!

Jun. 27, 2011 at 8:58 am :
Thanks so much! :)

hanging_girl_666This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 9, 2011 at 11:44 pm :
* claps* I love it also. Its so relatable its shocking. I liked," Mixed Matched eyes." KEEP WRITING PLEASE!!

Jul. 11, 2011 at 4:18 pm :
Thank youuuuu :D and I will!

Ambershort said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:05 pm:
I really enjoyed this! I;d have to say it would be much more powerful if it was broken down into shorter pieces. The imagery is quite powerful and brings me into the scenery; however, it would be much more appreciated if it was spread out.

Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:11 pm :
Thanks for the feeback. Yeah, I understand that. Breaking up poetry is hard for me :P I'll try next time though :)

CarolynQ said...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:58 am:
Wow, must I even say that this is incredible?! You have to already know that this is beyond average, actually it's rather perfect see you lied when you said you're just average this throws you way out into the field.  Nicely put btw, I can't get enough of all the imagery.  The polar views of yourself, a happy and sad you, a side that's seen and unseen, I love that. It very much relates to me because I'm bipolar, but I love your work I find it thought provoking

Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:38 am :
What a compliment! Thank you times a million :) Imagery is probably my favorite part of poetry, along with methaphors ;)

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm:
I really like this poem. There are so many different meanings I can apply to this, and I think that's the best thing about it. The words and rythm of it all are very good too. I don't think I would change a thing in this poem.

Jun. 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm :
Thanks so much! :)

abdmusiclover said...
May 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm:
I like it -- it's very relatable. Also, nice job with metaphors. 

May 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm :
Thanks so much! I love metaphors, don't you? :)

jamesacolson said...
May 12, 2011 at 8:46 am:
wow gangastaeyes, this work is excellent i love the description in your poem it reminds me of how i write powetry but other than that it is awsome how you write. if you get a chance check out my poems too. but you are an awsome writer.

May 14, 2011 at 8:53 am :
Thank you so much! :) I'd love to check out your work! Can you tell me the name of one of your poems? :)

alanacarlene said...
May 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm:
Wow Alex...chilllssssss! This is my other favorite poem of yours now. I loved the descriptions like your darker eye an oil spill in the ocean gosh that was just PERFECT. This is a poem to be proud of INCREDIBLE work Alex!

May 2, 2011 at 7:51 am :
Thanks. This one is kinda dark, but its how I feel ya know? I'm glad it meant something to you :)

alanacarlene replied...
May 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm :
Gosh it meant so much to me! This is just flat out gonna be my favorite poem ever!

JATBZ said...
It was very deep at the end, but the beginning throw me a little. I was lost to only find myself in the middle where the I guess darker part of the poem starts creeping in. 6.5/10