Instant Coffee | Teen Ink

Instant Coffee MAG

We’re so used to the old routine:
Shuffle your feet and look up weakly from your scuffed sneakers
Show off those endearing dimples and the slightly crooked angle of your smile.
Apologize for the broken windows and seduce Mother into forgiveness with sugary sweet phrases.
Lay your head down on a pillowcase you didn’t wash, and close your eyes with the knowledge of your little white lie already drifting away from your conscience.

Now get used to the new routine: Stare down the Formica countertops and wish the
Cracked linoleum tiles would open up and release that safe feeling you’ve been craving almost as badly as a decent caffeine source.
Sigh and pick up your lukewarm instant coffee.
And hope that the God you’ve doubted lately is willing to do you one more favor.
Tilt your face toward the cheap fan ferociously rattling above, and close your eyes
With the knowledge that life will never be what it used to be.

on Sep. 29 2011 at 9:23 am
Shelby.Flohr BRONZE, Lima, Other
I'm sorry I meant to rate you 5/5 but I clicked 3 -.-  I think this poem is very good and illustrates accurately the feeling of growing up.  haha sorry for rating you a three, it's the stupid school's computer!

LeilaniLives PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"They say 'Life's two steps forward and one step back' - But what if I tripped and fell down the whole flight of stairs?"

Would you read some of my work, maybe? I'd love any comments/ratings..

I'm proud to post comment #2. This is beautiful. Probably because there isn't a picture, it doesn't draw attention. Job well done though, let me say that.

Schubster said...
Woah. I'm suprised there aren't a lot of comments on this poem. Very well written. :) I love the last sentence:"With the knowledge that life will never e what it used to be." Really powerful. Good job