Summer Nights in Algeria

The night sky over there is like a sky in your dreams
With that deep royal-blue color
And the stars twinkling above

The children take delight in this
And laugh & play under the night sky
With their handmade toys

Inside, the place smells of
Rosewater cookies and mint tea
For the bride and her family
Good wishes swing through the hot air.

The wedding dresses are in a corner
They are exported from all over the world
Handmade and sewn to perfection
Chiffon
Silks
Brocades
All the colors of the rainbow

This is the Algeria that I have lived in
This is the Algeria that I know

You, with your pompous attitude, will never know this place
Will never know who I am
Unless you open your mind
And leave the stereotypes behind
Forget about what you knew before
Forget what was said

Open your mind, my dear
To a place that only a few know of
Summer Nights in Algeria

Writomania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 28, 2011 at 1:17 am:
written* is what i mean..

Aderes18This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 28, 2011 at 9:43 pm :
Would you to know why I wrote this poem even though the story is a little long? 

May 28, 2011 at 1:17 am:

I don't know why but i imagined Avril Lavigne sing this one..

Even though she's from canada :)

nicely writton.. i love the dresses part :)

May 28, 2011 at 9:43 pm :

I love Avril Lavigne!! :)

Even though she did that annoying proactiv commercial. :(

I can totally see why you said that. 

For me, it's more Adele or Sara Bareilles. 

I included the dresses because it's my favorite part in an Algerian wedding(the groom, to show his devotion, love and wealth buys the bride a certain amount of beautiful dresses, then she shows it off at the wedding. 

I am already thinking about my dresses. :)

Writomania This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 28, 2011 at 11:39 pm :

haha.. i love avril too.. but the new album is pretty great :)

And wow... different cultures and weddings intrigue me...

I would more than LOVE to know the story behind it :)

May 29, 2011 at 7:47 am :

I was at a party at one of the google offices, with my after-school program Science Club for Girls(I teach girls science afterschool)It's very fun and cool and I have been doing it for three years. 

We were at Google to get more sponsors(because it's non-profit) 

I had to talk to people about our program. I talked to this German guy named Daniel. He was very good-looking, nice and sweet. 

He told me a funny story about getting his citizenship, I told him I ... (more »)

May 29, 2011 at 7:48 am :
I meant massacres! 

May 29, 2011 at 11:56 pm :

oh wow... forget daniel.. you know, the other day, a few kids came to our school for this exchange program all the way from manchester... i got talking to one of them who went, "india is a terrorist country... ur neighbors with pakistan... you are the reason behind 9/11.. blah blah blah.

I mean... it really hurts to see us gettin blamed for somethin we didnt do and i can totally understand how you felt... i mean, just because of a few bad fish, you cannot blame the entire pond for bein... (more »)

May 30, 2011 at 5:14 am :

I've already forgotten about him. :) 

That is so rude!! I don't understand how people think it's OK to insult someone's country in front of their face. I would never do it! 

You know what you should tell those British kids:If our country is so dangerous, why did you come here? 

Those kids are dumb. India is not a terrosist country!!!

Personally, I love India and I really, really want to go. I love Indian food, bollywood movies..etc 

I SO ... (more »)