Summer Nights in Algeria

The night sky over there is like a sky in your dreams
With that deep royal-blue color
And the stars twinkling above

The children take delight in this
And laugh & play under the night sky
With their handmade toys

Inside, the place smells of
Rosewater cookies and mint tea
For the bride and her family
Good wishes swing through the hot air.

The wedding dresses are in a corner
They are exported from all over the world
Handmade and sewn to perfection
Chiffon
Silks
Brocades
All the colors of the rainbow

This is the Algeria that I have lived in
This is the Algeria that I know

You, with your pompous attitude, will never know this place
Will never know who I am
Unless you open your mind
And leave the stereotypes behind
Forget about what you knew before
Forget what was said

Open your mind, my dear
To a place that only a few know of
Summer Nights in Algeria

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 14 at 9:59 am:
This is amazing! Beautiful imagery. Great job! Can you please check out my work too? I would love to know what you think :)

savetheplanetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Did I really never comment on this?  I could've swore I did.  Anyway, great job!  It must be beautiful in Algeria.

Aderes18This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm :
Parts of Algeria are extremely beautiful, parts are kinda trashy, depends where you go, as in any country....

cookiegirl said...
Aug. 27, 2011 at 7:18 am:
I like how you display Alegeria in your poem, you display it as beautiful and you destroy stereotypes. Your peom is beautiful:) 

cookiegirl replied...
Aug. 27, 2011 at 7:34 am :
People like giving stereotypes to other counties aswell, like I'm Pakistani, you have these people who think we're bad people, stereotypes are offensive and hurtful.

Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm :

SHOUT-OUT TO ALL MY PAKISTANIS, cookiegirl and Destinee! :)

A lot of my friends are from South Asia, they are Pakistani and Bangali and Indian! :)

I know, right? The story to this poem is below, did you read it? 

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Wow, if I had any false opinions about Algeria, they would be entirely shattered right now! But I didn't really know anything to begin with, so this was quite illuminating. It sounds like a beautiful culture.

I didn't know your home country was Algeria! When did you live there?

Aug. 9, 2011 at 6:05 pm :

Algeria is not exactly the wonderland I set it out to be but it is a place that is very dear to my heart. 

See, my father is Algerian and my mother is American.(that's why I'm Muslim) 

I lived there for four months when I was nine but it felt like a year. 

Aug. 9, 2011 at 6:06 pm :
If you read more comments, I talk more about Algeria and why I specifically wrote this poem. 

SMWells said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm:
This is realy artisticly origanal, I like it.

SMWells replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 9:12 pm :
Goodness me! It's you!!!! If I had known that I wouldn't have comented. 

Jul. 7, 2011 at 9:55 pm :

Thank you! :)

Wow, I'm kinda offended by that! I mean, I have NOTHING against you. What do you think I am going to do anyway? 

SMWells replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:17 am :
Um... sorry. It's just that with all the contintion, I didn't want you to think I would specificly comment to flater you.  But it is a good poem.

Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
Okay. :) 

SMWells replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm :
Well then OK it is... OK's are good.

Jul. 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm :
Would you like to know the stopry behind this poem? It is written below. :)

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 12:20 pm:

Wow, to be honest, I have no preconceptions about Algeria, I think it's in Europe, but that's about it. I don't really no anything about it, but from this poem, I now think that it is a beautiful, enchanted place, filled with beautiful, enchanting people.

Thank you for writing this, I really loved reading it :)

Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm :

Algeria is not in Europe. It is actually on the coast of North Africa, it is smushed between Tunsia and Morrocco. I have actually taken a ship on the Mediterrean from Spain to Algeria.

People in Algeria are Muslims and Arabs and because of that, there are a lot of stereotypes about us, especially in France and Italy. The 1990's were a very violent time in Algeria, creating a bad rep for us. But thank you!

Algeria isn't exactly a wonderland but it's a very precious place to ... (more »)

Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm :
There's a bigger story behind this poem. It's the 7th or 8th or 9th comment that tells the story. :)

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:42 pm :

As you can tell, I know absolutely nothing about Algeria ;)

I read the story behind it, thank you :)