The Cry of the Lone Wolf

The cry of the lone wolf
Penetrates me
Through skin
Flesh
Muscle and bone
It awakens
A longing
So profound
That it is impossible
To comprehend
In its fullest
Form

I turn
Into the wind
That carries
This sorrowful sound
And I wonder
Why no other wolves
Call back

leafy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this poem so much. 'nuff said. 5/5

ninjamuffin said...
I love this! It is a wonderful symbol for what it is like to be lonely

HannSawyer15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love how you ended with "Why no other wolves call back" I really wasn't expecting you to end it that way. Nice job!

BrightBurningCampeador This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks! This poem is kind of a metaphor. It's my reaction to the social structure of middle school.

Robyn97 said...
I love this! My original username was 'Lonewolf1213' and so I picked this first. So glad I did.

Neera said...
The consistent image of the wolf throughout is very strong, and cleverly used, in the sense that wolves are not so dissimilar to us, in terms of their relationship with their pack (ours with our families).  The only possible critique I can think of is that the line "a longing, so profound that it is impossible to comprehend" needs to be more concise.   "A profound longing, impossible to comprehend, in it's entirety" I feel would fit better.  Hope this helps, but overall, I loved it :)

i loved this poem, it pretty much summed up a wolf's cry. keep up the good work!

I actually didn't want to be describing a normal wolf's cry. Most wolves live in packs. I tried to use the lone wolf as metaphor in this poem. A metaphor for somebody who has no one who listens.