Barbie

Barbie doll

Beautiful girl

Figure small

Teeth like a pearl

Blonde hair

Glowing skin

Complexion fair

Utter Perfection

Blue eyes

Pink lips

Thin thighs

Slender hips

Here’s a toast

To the barbie girl

First and foremost

A beautiful girl

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:22 am
I like your description of the Barbie girl---but I don't know what to do with this poem. Is the reader supposed to reach their own conclusion? To me, the Barbie doll is one of a controversial issue. Some say that this is a bad image to little girls, because not everyone looks like that. To others the doll is just a fun toy. Personally, my dolls didn't all look like the one you have described---they were all different in skin color and hair type, etc. But then again, Barbie was just a fun toy whe... (more »)

LaceeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Perfect discription of a barbie doll! you very good at adding details.

TwinDemons said...

I love the poem! Its the perfect description of a barbie doll. I should know I used to collect them.  

In what it means to me, I see something I could never really become. I see the description of a girl that you may never met in reality. Many women try to become that doll that they so admired when they were just little girls with a dream and barbies dream house.  

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like these lines ''Here's a toast To the barbie girl First and foremost''  Nice rhyme, but i like you should have left out the last line ''A beautiful girl'' but thats just me and its still really good, I like the picture you chose to go with it. And yeah, i can relate!! 

NailsForBreakfast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 10:12 am
what do I see in this poem? I see media. These are the things that the media throws in our faces, making us us think that we need to look like this, otherwise we aren't beautiful. So in my opinion, I sort of see this as something saying that the media glorifies all of these things, but the only things that have all of them are Barbie dolls. Great poem :)

DaughterofEvil said...

You asked me what this poem meant to me. Here is MY interpretation of a Barbie girl:

She may look perfect, but under that is a lot of inner trauma. Parents fighting, peer pressure, friends telling her to lose MORE weight so she becomes bullimic, they may give her a cigarette and she's addicted for life. She has to put on a facade to the rest of the world, but deep down she's suffering. I understand what it means to be a Barbie Girl. That's why I'm glad I'm not one.

Anyways, your... (more »)

just.be.me said...
I really like this!  I think the last 4 or so lines are the strongest.  That's my favorite part anyways.