Never shall I forget.. | Teen Ink

Never shall I forget..

By advencruzer BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
advencruzer BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Never shall I forget the creaky, dust-covered black gate that provided as both a warning sign and a beginning to a hike that would forever be embedded in my memory.
Never shall I forget the shallow rivers and pools strewn with rocks, dozens of these rivulets scattered throughout the trek.
Never shall I forget the plaintive call of the blue jays and mocking birds, filling the evening air with a hum of life and joy.
Never shall I forget the odor of pine resin, plants, wildlife; the crooked trees and wild undergrowth covering the hike, the slithering of unseen snakes and wild mice.
Never shall I forget the painstaking climbs up sheer rock walls, seizing the rough rope with a death’s grip, adrenaline and determination coursing through my veins like wildfire.
Never shall I forget the relief of finishing the challenging hike, the delicious, crunchy taste of pack food, exhaustion melting away.
Never shall I forget the thrill of having completing an exciting, but arduous hike- the pleasure of reaching home and relaxing aching muscles.
Never.

One of my best and most memorable hikes in Topanga Canyon

CT Cousin said...
Boy, I felt like I was on this journey with you......Great job Eliot

auntie Es said...

What a wonderful poem. It flows like a magic river on a lazy summer day. Boy, do I miss the summer. This has been a long, long winter.

Than you, Eliot

inga said...
on Feb. 13 2011 at 10:24 am
reading these memories, inbibing words of suttle, unique descriptions...  words seldom heard which evoke subttle and strong emotion...  it is surprising and poignant and redeaming and inspiring my thoughs and feelings...  beautiful....

hiker in RI said...
enjoying the thoughts your poem evokes!

This is realy cool, mr. Eliot :)

Mama said...
Makes me want to hike to this place!