I Am Not Alone

I wear black, sure.
I wear fingerless gloves, sure.
Sometimes I like to wear a ratty black skirt, sure.
My favorite shoes are my black leather combat boots, sure.
I put safety-pins on my black tank tops, sure.
I’ve dyed my hair black with some streaks of red, sure.
What’s wrong with that?

Don’t call me Goth like that.
Don’t look down your nose at me.
Don’t flip your pampered hair and walk so haughtily away.
This is who I am.
I am Goth, sure.
But I am not a freak.

So what if I paint my nails black?
Yours are painted too.
What does color have to do with it?
So what if the make-up I wear is heavy?
So is yours.
You hide all your flaws behind that mask of make-up.
I express myself with mine.

Don’t call me Goth like that.
Don’t look down your nose at me.
This is who I am.
I am Goth, sure.
But I am not a freak.

Yeah, I listen to dark music.
I don’t listen to it because I am myself dark in nature.
I listen to the beauty in the lyrics, to the emotion and sincerity in every word.
Yeah, I read dark books.
I don’t read them because I feel like I want to relate.
I read them for the truth in their words, the other side of the story.

Don’t call me Goth like that.

I am an individual.

Don’t look down your nose at me.

I am strong, independent.

Face the fact that I’m flipping you off – that I just don’t care what you think.

This is who I am.
I am Goth, sure.
But I am not alone.

Angelnight16 said...
i really really loved it, i found myself picturing people in my own life when you spoke about the "normal" people, and how they hide behind masks of makeup.

KiraKira replied...
Thank you for commenting! yeah, at my school (we're kind of artsy and weird awesome people for the most part) these people kinda stick out, so I see them alot, and I just laugh when they try to act all cliche, which helped inspire this.

FeedTheBirds said...

I love how you flip fashion stereotypes on the "normal" people, pointing out how you both wear makeup, clothes, etc to express yourself.

I don't like the last few lines "Face the fact that I’m flipping you off – that I just don’t care what you think.

This is who I am.
I am Goth, sure.
But I am not alone."

I feel like this goes against what you proved in the rest of the poem. That Goth isn't "flipping" anyone off - it's just a style. And I d... (more »)

KiraKira replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 9:00 am
Then I guess i'm making two points then: One about it just being a style, and Two that this is who that person is - Goth - and that they refuse to back down from who they are just because someone doesn't like the way they look

FeedTheBirds replied...
Right. But I liked that you pointed out that people who wear makeup in any color or amount, or perfume, or ANYTHING have their own style. Or they are participating in a style. If you say that one style is specifically saying "Cuss you", it puts down anyone who isn't that style (in this case, Goth). I like the poem's beginning premise that styles are choice, they are plenty, and they are varied. but none are superior.

KiraKira replied...
I'm not trying to put down any one style, and I feel like a lot of people would relate to this age-old battle of Goth vs. Popular. I find that so many people are afraid to express their individuality and this is a call out to those people - just saying stand out for what you believe in, and we will stand behind you