Symbolism

I crouch by the lakeside. The sky is blue, like a vast and unimaginable bluebird. Fluffy clouds scud across the underbelly of the world like giant and perfect white down. The colors of blue and white reflect upon the water, making it a mottled and tranquil blue-black.
I extend a finger, intending to make a ripple upon the surface. I hope to cause many other ripples along the lakeside, but as my ripples die away, I am disappointed.
I am all alone.
I wish to tumble into the lonely and inviting water, never to return.

savetheplanet said...
I love all the sybolism in this poem, that's probably why you titled it that. Hehe, :D.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Yep, nothing else would have suited it so well without giving everything away :)

savetheplanet replied...
LOL, that's funny.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Your description for the sky was lovely and more than I could ever accomplish.

The disappointment at finding that one does not leave as much of a ripple on the world as one had hoped to. The desire to tumble into the lake might be considered an escape, but it might also be a wish to become one with what is greater. If one cannot touch the world to make it change, he can always try dissolving into it. Does that make sense? 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Thank you, though I must say that I now find my repetition of the word 'blue' irritating L: 

That makes perfect sense, actually. I tried to do just that one afternoon under our lilac trees, and ended up giving a gift instead. 

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
"Giving a gift instead" is never easy, but it's really the noblest option. Was the gift to the world or to the lilac trees?

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
I gave it to God and the Earth.

off-by-one said...
Ooh :) I love how this is written! The tone and imagery felt beautiful n mysterious

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Rim hanaid, Off, many thanks :)

Aderes18 said...
I really liked this pome too! ICAN REALLY RELATE TO IT! LOVEIT!! :) 

Aderes18 replied...

pome= poem 

sorry! 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
I'm beginning to wonder if you're a bit of a stargirl too :) And you know what's funny? I had a sort of teacher who pronounced the word 'poem' as 'pome' :D So the mis-spelling is no problem at all.

Aderes18 replied...
Where did you get the term Stargirl from? did you get it from the book Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli? I love that book and I could really relate to her! What do you mean by a stargirl?

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Yes, I got it from Jerry Spinelli's book :) I relate to it in many, many ways as well.

I mean, you say that you relate to quite a lot of my poems, and I'm a stargirl, so maybe you're quite a bit of a stargirl too.

Anna-Akua replied...
i love the book stargirl! it was one of my favorite books in 5th grade skool :) so was flush

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Stargirl, is, awesome :D What is 'Flush' about?

savetheplanet replied...
Flush is about a casino boat illegally flushing it's garbage into the ocean where it got washed onto beaches.  But since the owner had inside info in the police, he never got caught.  The book is about these kids who try to stop him.  It's got the environmentally friendly feel.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Thank you, Lizz :) Sounds interesting, kinda like 'Hoot'.

savetheplanet replied...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 12:06 am
It's written by the same author, ROFLZ :)