Bottomfeeder, to the rescue.

I am a starving artist, a bottomfeeder on the totem pole.

I do not look as if I belong to an earlier era, nor do I look wise, ahead of my years.

Not that looks matter. For I am a bottomfeeder.

I cannot afford creativity. I cannot afford individuality, a name for myself.

They are luxuries. The things in life we want, we crave.

But don't need.

I am society's property, nameless.

Anonymous.

I write in the subways, in secluded smoky bars. I write in Times Square and at Yellowstone. I sit on Lincoln's knee and write to the walls.

I am never seen. Never heard. Never read.

I was not genetically engineered to be visible. My DNA steers me to roam the streets, shouting incessantly through quiet poetry.

Yearning for someone to hear me.

They are unaware of my existence.

But as long as I know I exist,
I'll be okay.

ArgonElement said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:17 am:
Oh lord, TeenInk is just blossoming with bottomfeeders! I love this poem. You are a very good writer, keep it up!

Melliana replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:52 pm :
Thank you! I appreciate it so much!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:13 pm:
I've read another identity story before, but seeing in the form of a poem is really interesting, and I love how you did this. I've always wanted to write something about identity, but I guess I just need inspiration. This is really good, and I look forward to seeing more of your work! :)

Melliana replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm :
Thanks so much! A lot of my work is still being processed. It takes so long. But I promise there will be more. Much more!

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm:
Great poem!  I love how you make identity the main character in your poem.  Excellent work!

Melliana replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm :
Thank you!