Bottomfeeder, to the rescue. | Teen Ink

Bottomfeeder, to the rescue.

By Melliana SILVER, Ware Shoals, South Carolina
Melliana SILVER, Ware Shoals, South Carolina

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." - Sylvia Plath

I am a starving artist, a bottomfeeder on the totem pole.

I do not look as if I belong to an earlier era, nor do I look wise, ahead of my years.

Not that looks matter. For I am a bottomfeeder.

I cannot afford creativity. I cannot afford individuality, a name for myself.

They are luxuries. The things in life we want, we crave.

But don't need.

I am society's property, nameless.

Anonymous.

I write in the subways, in secluded smoky bars. I write in Times Square and at Yellowstone. I sit on Lincoln's knee and write to the walls.

I am never seen. Never heard. Never read.

I was not genetically engineered to be visible. My DNA steers me to roam the streets, shouting incessantly through quiet poetry.

Yearning for someone to hear me.

They are unaware of my existence.

But as long as I know I exist,
I'll be okay.

Identity. It's something we all think about. I took that thought and put it in words. I put those words on paper for the world to read and do with it what they will.

Thank you!

Thanks so much! A lot of my work is still being processed. It takes so long. But I promise there will be more. Much more!

Thank you! I appreciate it so much!

on Jul. 12 2011 at 11:17 am
ArgonElement SILVER, The Woodlands, Texas

Question Authority.

Oh lord, TeenInk is just blossoming with bottomfeeders! I love this poem. You are a very good writer, keep it up!

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I've read another identity story before, but seeing in the form of a poem is really interesting, and I love how you did this. I've always wanted to write something about identity, but I guess I just need inspiration. This is really good, and I look forward to seeing more of your work! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Great poem!  I love how you make identity the main character in your poem.  Excellent work!