The Ocean Grave

For men who work the lonesome sea,
Across the mounts their homelands be.
And through the wood and o’er the pond
A widow mourns good fisherman John.

Who’s long since lost to the fell wave
And lies there in his coral grave.
His life gone there, his freedom spent.
The whole sea as his monument.

IntrepidRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm:
It has an old world feel. It;s lovely. (Are you sure you were not born around the same time as the real Charles Dickens?)

CharlesDickensThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm :

As kind as ever IntrepidRose, and sadly, I wasn't born in the 1800's.

Sorry 2011 you stink

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm:
i really like this, i like the way it tells a story and i think it counts as a ballad too, great work!! :)

Feb. 25, 2011 at 5:14 pm :
Yeah!  I don't know why I posted this on free verse.

Vidra This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 5:45 pm:
This probably counts as a ballad, but either way it's really awesome! :) Great job.

Feb. 23, 2011 at 8:28 am :

yeah, i thought so, but I wasn't positive.

-Insert_Evil_Laugh- said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm:
Gotta agree here, this is great. Short and sweet. Or not so sweet, but hey, it's still great. Love how it manages to convey so much with so little.

Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm :
thank you!  I appreciate that you took the time to read this!  I'm glad you like it!  I wrote it shortly after reading a Robert Louis Stevenson novel!

xxSlimShadyxx said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm:

I absolutely loved this.

That's how I'd like to die, drowning. So the entire sea would be mine, even in death.

Either that, or I want to be poisoned. 'Cause that's just too dramatic for words.

Anyway, this is wonderful, and it all rhymes. Which is equally wonderful.