Far Away Places | Teen Ink

Far Away Places

By erinelong BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
erinelong BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

Your gruff voice attempted to stay in melody, as you tucked me in goodnight. The lullaby that was passed on through generations of the family; the lullaby that never put me to sleep the first time. Intently observing each of your facial features, every wrinkle, every color, every emotion; I was determined to stay awake, just for you to sing it again. "Please, just one more time," with those sincere green eyes beaming, you couldn't turn me down.

I was too young to know better then. Too young to know the trouble you caused, too young to know your previous ambitions and dreams before I came along, and far too young to understand that some day it would come to this. The lullaby just a mere foreshadowing of what was to come; but still you sang, "those far away places, I've been dreaming about.." and my eyes would quietly close, about to follow each lyric word for word.

Every little girl grows up. The lullaby is not an original, past down from our family members. Those distinct features have become much more apparent now with age, but my attention no longer remains focused on them, and now, you're off at one of those far away places, that I can only dream about. Perhaps in time I'll find the epiphany in the puzzle. Perhaps this adventure will truly make all the difference. Perhaps I'll join you, far away.