Paint It Black

Black nail polish
War paint for my fingers
A sign, a story, about my past
Nails are strong and durable
I will never let you see me cry
Nails break wears and chips the paint
More pain is inflicted upon me
Dark images fill my head as painful memories are brought back to life
Some things you can never forget
I paint my nails black
To show the world what I’ve been through,
where I stand, and how I feel
In a broken world, true love can not exist
You learn that the people you love most cause you the most pain
And so I cover up the clear blue tears and the scarlet blood
With a heavy coat of black paint
To move beyond, but never forget
The pain I went through,
The suffering that brings me to where I am today,
And the heart throb that makes me who I am
This is why I paint it black

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 9:06 am
This is AMAZING :) its oh-so-inspiring and I love the imagery and symbolisim you incorporated in this poem. I'm glad you suggested it to me, I can really relate. :)

hanging_girl_666This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
:') I relate. I love it. Im speechless.

Shadowrider said...
I love it! It's so deep and so real! The flow is wonderful and the rhythm great. The entire poem is amazing. You're an incredible writer!

Zaylie said...

This is one I understand.

I love it.

I makes everything that I've ever felt about cutting and other things come back. But seeing it in a completely different way. Thank you so much.

Basketball23 said...
This is outstanding!  What the black pain symbolizes is so relatable on almost everyone's standards!

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i know i already commented on this in the forums but i'm just going to say again i love it!! (i left a longer comment ages ago in the one in the forums!!) 5/5 and this should be in the magazine!!

hopelovepain said...

I love love love this! I think it really hits home and makes us all remember that a girl with black-painted nails isn't just a girl with black-painted nails; she's been through something. However, there are a few things: 

"heart throb" - is there a better way to phrase that?

"This is why I paint it black" would it be better to use a period at the end? It also seems like a tiny bit of a jarring transition from the line above. Perhaps do;

and this is why

I paint... (more »)

NailsForBreakfast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 10:15 am
ahahha this hit home, because I wear black nail polish for almost these same reasons :) I like that you put so many things into a small bottle of paint. great job :)

Medina D. said...
you put something so huge and important into something as small and simple as black nail polish..............WOW

DaughterofEvil said...

This is an extremely heartfelt and emotional piece. I was simply amazed by it. I've never thought of wearing black in this way, so.....all in all, WOW.

5.5/5

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
your idea for this is great-this poem is very original & creative. there's alot of emotion in this piece, too. all in all, very good job :)

alicen1ndrland said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:10 am
very nice style of writing. You know how to separate clauses without making it choppy. Keep up the good work!

PieIsAwkward said...

This is really, quite really, very good!

Most people just wear black nail polish because it'll make them feel cool, but this brings a whole new meaning to it.

I usually wear black, except for one nail, which I paint blue. (In memory of Charlie Pace)

But now I definitely appreciate my nails more, this should be published in the magazine :]

AmandaPanda123 said...
I think I must have read this before...I think that it's amazing how you created a story throughout this poem.

singergurl12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 6:33 am
i really like this peice! i often paint my nails black, and i love that story behind this peice. i really liked how you gave it a voice.

Mgymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 1:44 am
i love the whole idea of this poem!! it is very original and very beautiful!! my favorite line was "in a broken world true love can not exist"

Vidra This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really love this poem. :) It's powerful, deep, and gives a whole new reason of wearing black nail polish and how something so simple can mean so much. :) Great writing!

Elizabeth_Day This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really incredible.  It has a sort of loose feeling rhythm that i really like.  "To move beyond, but never forget" has a really excellent feel to it.  I've never thought of black nail polish like this before, but now i always will.

Veronique said...
this is really good! it reminds us that even the simplest things that people do may tell us about who they are and what they have been through.

AlyBug said...
wow i absolutely love this and can totally relate to it to. :) keep writing