Birth Cage | Teen Ink

Birth Cage

By Harvardstar BRONZE, Sugar Land, Texas
Harvardstar BRONZE, Sugar Land, Texas

I, an African American girl, am born in a cage.

My cage is formed by many stereotypes concerning my ethnicity.

No matter how bright I may shine, I feel I’m always looked down on because of my cage.

My cage makes me feel limited on what extent I can succeed in life.

I will not allow for this to happen!

Society and stereotypes will not govern my actions, mindset, or my self-esteem.
I will hold my head high and be proud of the skin I’m in.

For I am my own person:

I choose my future

I choose how I will be treated

and I choose not to allow society to degrade me.

I am born in a cage but surey, I will not die in one.

I will work hard and overcome any obstacle that prevents me from reaching my goals.

I will be free!

8 hateful words inspired this piece: Afrian-Ameican girls are the lowest form of humanity. I came across these words while I was browsing youtube comments. As soon as I read this comment I ran to my room and started writing away. Writing this poem was very therapeutic to my tense feelings.

Dee 1 said...
on Oct. 24 2012 at 9:47 pm
I loved the article, it is very inspiring to all the beautiful african girls out there, fitghting for their spot under the sun. I want to bring to the attention of African children's parents, the importance of praising your kids, apecially the girls. Saying things to degrade your children will only lower down their self steem. Praise your children, show you love them and they will learn that they are worthy, lift their self confidence and that will help them conquer the hostile world out there. Building a strong girl beggins at home, the parents are the structure that their kids will rely on. I am not an African, but I am an immigrant girl, who suffered all kinds of prejudice right under my skin... Love to all you beautiful African Girls out there... you rule sisters!!! Be your BEST, show the world you CAN!!!