For Your Leaves are of Gold | Teen Ink

For Your Leaves are of Gold

By Run4fun17 BRONZE, South Barrington, Illinois
Run4fun17 BRONZE, South Barrington, Illinois

For leaves are the shade of abundant dispositions.

Through the abiding changes, one entity remains the same.

At the end of the day, one leaf, though different colored throughout the year, will remain the same leaf it always was.

For life is a leaf.

The verdant pigment of a leaf is the beginning stage of transient life on this earth.

It is a new creation, full of life and anticipation, yet to see the stage of this existence.

A brilliant red emerges out of the shadows. Many a leaf will become unattached from its stem and venture off into the world alone.

Its flight down from the towering tree is exotic and unknown. Like a puppy far from home, its red passion entangles itself and finds itself lost.

The bright red color of the leaf fades over time into a gruesome brown color.

How can a once beautiful leaf become unrecognizable in the blink of an eye?

The leaf becomes old and dried out, and the slightest tap will crunch its shell-like form. A pile of these outcasts grows beneath the tree they once called home.

The piles grow and grow until it seems as if there is no hope for survival in this world, until we fall into the pile that once made us up and realize that our leaves are of gold.

I was inspired to write this piece after realizing how the different shades of leaves represent different parts of our lives. For example, the red leaves represent a part of our life where we were daring; the green leaves represent a time when we were happy and full of life; the brown leaves represent tragedy, sadness, and confusion; finally, the golden leaves represent a state of paradise which we will reach at the end of our life. The pile of leaves represents every occurence or event that has happened in our life, and at the end the poem describes jumping into that pile of leaves, which is a representation of forgetting the past, out with the old, and in with the new.