Devoid | Teen Ink

Devoid

By seer22 BRONZE, Hendersonville, Tennessee
seer22 BRONZE, Hendersonville, Tennessee

They suffer so much-- I see them cry,
The inward shrine, destroyed
The outward storm flew by:
Immolation was deployed
In a God-forsaken wonderland,
The human is now a droid.
Devoid.

Invasions surge, their vigor,keen,
As long as the night is dark
But here, adaption to the scene--
Necessity-- remains unseen!
Whatever weather, same routine
Our habits have made the mark

But why, one pleas, are we so disgraced
By our own incompetent ways?
That when we find ourselves displaced
We can't tear out of the maze.

I feel it closed, that inward eye;
The wisdom of sages passed,
Which grew them wings and let them fly
From labyrinth, far and fast!

So wake that inward eye from sleep
And fright not when it dwells;
And silence not if that eye would weep
Lest truth, from you, dispels

This poem is a juxtaposition of the human spirit and the outward world's effects on it, regarding people of a depressed nature. Of course, depending on the person, results may vary, but essentially, everyone I have studied who is dolor remains connected by the fact that they are all unhappy with their current, future, and/or past lives. Why is this so? I go on in the poem to claim that we humans are habitual creatures, and many times when faced with a new challenge, we relapse to old ways, whether those ways be coping techniques, methods of problem solving, laziness, ect.
Now, I am not deeming all habits bad, by any means, considering that if humans held no capacity for habitualness, then we probably wouldn't exist. There are habits in the shadows that must ensue to retain our sanity, and even our lives. Thought process, for example, is a subconscious habit that must exist, or we would have all probably died a long time ago, not knowing what to do with ourselves, and most likely crumbling to some catastrophe we didn't see coming. Our heart pumping blood, of course, is a habit that if nonexistent, would eliminate the possibility for all life, in general.
Expounding a bit on the subject, I asked why? Why is it that we ignorantly and nonproductively fall to our own monster of habit? Now, I'm not Jesus, and I don't have all the answers, but in taking a shot at the question, I'd have to first claim that our habits are nothing more than systematic patterns, no different from a computer. A computer does not question its task or the way it implements its operator's goals, but instead, blindly, it completes whatever is thrown in front of it, giving it no other real value than that of its own mechanical efficiency.
We, as humans, I don't believe were made to live in such computerized ways, in-fact, I think it impossible that one could live happily and be conformed to such a dulled and unnecessary lifestyle. I maybe making myself sound irrelevant, I know, but there's a point to my words, such being, that a working, fully functional society yields nothing more to us humans than routinely computerized habit, and in many cases with no very meaningful or stimulating conversation, but instead with a standard of superficial relations, interacting only for the sake of politeness or solving the task at hand. Need I even put emphasis on the term “computerized”?
We have drive-throughs, banks, schools, and many other “specialized” facilities, designed to do specific jobs for the community, with almost all employees habitually driven for whatever reasons (the most prominent one, or perhaps the only one being to survive the very city that has ensnared them) and almost no employees driven by any enjoyable force. So, given the concepts I’ve just provided, one must deduce that individuals are being forced into computerized habits by the standards set by society. Now this does not sufficiently answer my previous question, “Why do we fall to our own habits”, but it does hint to a possible answer: That the encumbrance of the habitualness society puts forth to the citizen, is overloading or seriously diminishing his ability to see through his “Inner eye”, having the same or similar meanings to the words “Intuition” and “Conscience”, which in turn is limiting his effectiveness in new challenges, in some cases, disabling that effectiveness.
Intuition is the ultimate systematic process, complex beyond most, perhaps all humanly comprehension, one that if effectively nurtured and listened to, is the most powerfully productive application through which to implement happiness, and an equivocally more effective guide than that of the computerized mindset, which is unable to process outward aspects, such as morality and other mystically and seemingly covert applications that are processed in our conscience. It is true that the computerized mindset, the one being forced upon us, doesn’t even know happiness. By extension, it knows nothing.
If one is devoid of intuition, then the relapsing habits that reign are untouched and ever-ensuing. That inward eye doesn’t only let you know what is wrong with a situation but how to fix it, even if the path to resolution is a bit abstruse. Mohandas Gandhi used his to free all of India. Buddha was once blind to his, but once he saw of the people starving in his village, his inner-eye awoke, and he resigned as king to find true enlightenment, and he was successful. If one does not know how to adapt himself to foreign situations, he will more times than not fall back upon the actions engendered in similar situations. It is the best he can do.

I’ll say it again, that it is not a preferable way of living-- through the patterns of a computerized society. Humans were not meant to stress in such ways, selling at least 8 hours a day for a way to survive, many doing all they can to get by every month, suffering for the bare necessities of civilized living. It is not worth it, not at the cost of what might be forgotten in the process of that desperation. We must be ever-attuned to our inward-eye, and dare not neglect it, lest we fade into the giant computer that’s already out to ensnare us, and lock us up inside ourselves.