I Miss My Daddy

When I was only two years old,
My daddy went away.
He swore he'd always love me,
But he said he couldn't stay.
Days turned into weeks
And weeks turned into years.
I never saw my father,
He never saw my tears.
He told me to touch the star,

He believed in me I could.
So why did he go far?
He never read me bedtime stories
Or tucked me in at night.
He never showed up for my birthdays,
But I always hoped he might.
He missed my first day of kindergarten
And all of my school plays.
He doesn't know how smart I am,
My report cards full of A's.
Sometimes I want to call him
To say Hey Dad I'm still alive!
I'll be 15 years old soon,
Will you teach me how to drive?
It’s almost time for college,
The years go by so fast.
I'm looking forward to my future,
But I'm still trapped within my past.

I guess I'll never understand,
Did I do something bad?
My parents got divorced,
But why did I lose my dad?
He was like my sky,

Sometimes it just makes me so sad.

BlackVeilBride said...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 11:29 am
I never lost my dad. I have had him in my life since i was born. But i wouldn't know what i would have done if i grew up without a dad. I feel sorry for the ones that grew up without one. I can truly say that I am sorry that you don't have a dad. And i really like this Free Verse, even though i can't relate to it.

Monkee63 said...
Thats reall touching to me...especailly since my da left when I was like 3 but now I have him back in my life and i feel so amazingly blessed to be able to have my whole future ahead of me with my dad...this poem is a sure explanation of the way I felt..these last 13 yrs....thats what makes the best poems the ones that the readers can relate too...great job with this I love it! :)

kp321 said...
This is really great! It makes me glad that my daddy is always there.

dml6609 said...
This poem is so touching. I love the rhyme. It is more fun to read poems with rhyme because I love finding the rhyming words. I also love that this poem is more like a story. I loved how the poem did not say what happened to the dad until the end. It kept me wondering what happened. "He swore he'd always love me" made me think about how it must feel. This poem is great and in perfect order. I would just want to hear more about the mom. Maybe she was a big influence in this poem.

lh506 said...
From your poem I can tell that you're going through pain at the moment. I can't say I can relate to you in this situation, but I just want to tell you cherish the close ones you have in your life now. I'm sure your father still thinks about you, and he deeply still loves you, but I want you to know that one day you will see your father again. 

Rachel W. said...
very touching. much emothion. good work bro. i like it

MAB301 said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:58 am

"Days turned into weeks

And weeks turned into year.

I never saw my father,

He never saw my tears."

These were the best lines, they explained how long your father was away.  These lines also explained how your father missed pieces in your life. These lines are missing the happy parts of your life. A person would be able to connect more to these lines if there were specific examples of hard/happy times in your life. 

bjb103 said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:24 am
That was so touching! I feel the same way. I wonder about the things that happen with my parents. I can relate to this poem. This is a wonderful poem. I would suggest, to talk more about the mother. The line "I guess I'll never understand" thats my favorite line because thats how I fell.

ShelbyMarie93 said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:01 am
This is amazing. I loved it. Such a way with words...check out some of my work? :)

bluegirl440 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:52 am
This is very powerful and moving...great job.