My Mom This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By , River Forest, IL
The anger burns my lungs like a cigarette. I want to scream so loud that my voice is lost in the silence of your shock. You don't listen because you don't understand. You are selfish and wrapped up like a cocoon in you own problems. Everything I do is a disappointment. I am just another smudge in your life; something to cleaned, polished, and wiped away. I am not perfect and I will never pretend to be. The ink in my skin makes you burn with embarrassment. How could your daughter do this? You can no longer claim me beautiful, wonderful, perfect, because you are ashamed. Your inability to understand anyone but those who resemble you makes you bitter and judgmental. The wrinkles that now begin to crease your face will be blamed on me. The idea that I live my life to the fullest and try to enjoy my time on this earth is incomprehensible to you. I hate to be alone but you make me hate your presence. You claim I am lazy and unhelpful when I have been the single force holding your life together. You may not realize it yet but without me, you would have crumbled like a wall deteriorating after centuries of wear. So when I leave to get on with my life, what will you do? Where will you be? For I know I am strong enough to be on my own, but are you? Take a moment and think about that before I exit your world forever, without a single backwards glance.

icare4u said...
Oct. 21 at 11:25 am:
You have a good way of expressing your feelings thru words! Look at your life in phases of every 7 years from birth, and you will make it to the next phase and all things inside will change....like a butterfly coming out of its cocoon! Check out "Praying for your Brain", I care dear one and I will be praying for you! Lynn

icare4u said...
Oct. 21 at 11:19 am:
You have a very good way to release your thoughts in word, and I can see and hear you want to be heard, but more you want to be understood....and especially by your Mom.  Look at your life in phases of every 7 years from birth, this is one of those phases...and you will make it to the next phase and things will change on the inside, each time you go thru a phase!  Check out "Praying for your brain" on web. I care and I will be praying for you dear one!

SunballSunnyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 3 at 10:00 am:
give it time everything will be okay........ me and my mom are almost the same way....

tionashaylaR said...
i think its great you write instead of yelling at your mom, but think about it. she loves you. sometimes people have a hard time expressing emotions. me and my mom have a great relationship, but when things get bad i try to stay positive. she brought me into this world and i am very thankful. and sometimes i think "she dont understand" BUT SHE DOES! she was my age once too! your a great writer and all. you should keep writing, but think about how your life would be with out a mom... some people ... (more »)

alanna_mccThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm:
this is sooooo relateable and i feel anger released at my own mom when i read this. thanks ! and keep writing!

Delliebug said...
May 10, 2011 at 6:04 pm:
Wow..I love how you expressed yourself..it was just so simple yet full of feelings...just wanna say it's good dat u let go of ur hurt through writing...it's smart an really helpful..it actually is the only time..i write..wen i'm upset..lol..back to the point..keep it up :)

Cosmicpupp said...
May 10, 2011 at 9:09 am:
your paper was beautiful and i feel your pain. sometimes me and my mom dont get along n i feel your pain.

UnComplete2 said...
May 10, 2011 at 5:28 am:
My Mom And I Don't See Eye To Eye and I Feel Your Pain Waiting For The Exit Just Seems So Far Away.

madsobad11 said...
May 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm:

I can understand what u r going through

me and my mom have seemed to grow apart these lats couple of years

but now its getting better maybe because i go to boarding school and we cant fight but its also because we talk a lot more

So i m here to say it does get better but only if you want it to and if your mom its talking to u remember its a two way street  

Alise said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:56 am:
i loved it. i felt ur pain through ur words. it was beautiful.