Praise in the Storm | Teen Ink

Praise in the Storm

November 7, 2010
By Anonymous

My despondency is great, O LORD.
My world is crashing in.
My family is broken, my friends can't understand.
My sorrow is a great weight on my soul.

Rescue me, O LORD, my God.
Save me from the pit.
Pull me up from my anxiety,
And save me from the flood.

You, O LORD, the Almighty,
Hear my cry.
You will not desert me in my time of need.
I know You are with me in my tribulation.

You will carry me when I'm too weak to walk.
You will dry my tears when I'm bawling.
You will comfort me in my distress.
You will raise me up when I stumble.

Even now, I feel Your presence,
Your peace flowing down like a river.
Your joy fills my soul as my Enemies try to kill me,
And I know Your love which never fails.

I bring You praise, God, my God,
Who never fails me.
You, o LORD, are worthy of blessings, honor, glory
I can barely bring.

Thank You, LORD, for this trial.
Without it, I would not have seen this side of You.

"Even though I'm walking through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me." Psalm 23:4


The author's comments:
This is a psalm of sorts that I wrote to God, and I wanted to share the story behind it. My parents were going through a toughish time. Dad had just done something silly yet stupid, and it was the last straw for my mom. I was positive there was going to be some sort of fight, and all I could do as I sat in my room was cry out to God. I remembered something I had heard in a class I had attended at church recently: the teacher had said that even when you don't feel like it, praise God, because it will get your mind off of yourself and onto God. I tried that, and the first 3 stanzas of this poem came out of the first 15 minutes. Then as I continued to praise God, I remembered the song "Your Love Never Fails," and I thought to myself, "God will never fail me, even if my parents do." After that thought, all I could do was worship the King of Kings with the rest of this poem. By the way, while I was writing the last little bit, my mom came upstairs and told me that she and my dad were OK, and it was all alright. Honestly, I believe God allowed that trial to happen so that I could write this to Him, and this note to you, the reader: God is always looking out for you. Even when you don't think God cares, He does, and He's letting you go through whatever hard times you're going through for a reason. God let something as stupid as accidentally leaving Mom and me stranded at church bring me closer to Him and truly praise Him. So I leave you with a thought-provoking question: what will it take for God to get your attention?