Here I... | Teen Ink

Here I...

November 10, 2010
By Jays_Girl BRONZE, Washougal, Washington
Jays_Girl BRONZE, Washougal, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

“Here I love you and the horizon hides you in vain.” (Pablo Neruda)

Here is where you teach me everything I need to know. Here I call out your name and all that returns is my own frail and lonely voice. Here I am singing out in joy because you have been brought back to me. Here I see you lying in your prison of a shell, not knowing what is going to happen next. Here I lie next to you crying, longing for you to get better and walk again. Here I wonder what is happening to my best friend. Here is where my whole world has been brought to it’s knees because I hear the words “I’m dying” come from your warmth drawn from your lips. Here I see my hero in pain, in sadness, with a look of hopelessness. Here is where I realize you will be better off watching over me from the stars, even though you will be terribly missed. Here is where I realize all of the things that I have taken for granted. Here is when I am overwhelmed in guilt, sadness, pain, and fear. But the one I run to is almost gone. Here is where I can only say I love you and nothing more.


The author's comments:
I wrote this poem after our class did "Here I Love You" by Pablo Neruda for a writing prompt. It made me think of my grandpa and how I feel knowing that I am loosing him with each and every second that passes me by. My grandpa is my hero, and the only that ever believed in me. When he is gone, my whole world will be turned upside down. So take my advice, spend time with the people that you care about most because when you least expect it, they are gone.