If I Could Tell You A Secret | Teen Ink

If I Could Tell You A Secret

By AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

Dear Best Friend,

If I could tell you a secret
There are so many things I would say

I’d tell you I’m secretly in love
And I might even tell you it’s with your brother

I’d tell you about that website
You saw me clicking off of

I’d let you read those texts I hurriedly delete
And show you that everything’s not fine

I’d tell you what really happened with my father
And maybe tell you why I lied

I’d spill out my very soul to you
If I could trust that you would keep it

But when I asked if I could share a secret
You laughed and said “I wouldn’t recommend it”

So I’ll write this letter and never send it

I was bored and started to think about Psych (the awesome-est tv show ever). Then I remembered how the main character had responded to "Can I tell you a secret" with "I wouldn't recommend it, no.". Then I laughed, and tried to think about a way I could use that. So here is the fruit of my lack of labor. Hey, nobody ever said I wasn't weird...

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Jan. 6 2011 at 1:27 pm

I'm really glad you liked it!  And while I'm not glad you are able to relate, I'm glad it's relatable. :)  Don't be afraid to open up to your friends - they're often more understanding than you think. <3

on Jan. 6 2011 at 1:24 pm
Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else - Erna Bombeck

In three words i can sum up everything I've learned in life: it goes on -Robert Frost

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

this made me nearly cry...these things are exactly the things i would tell my best friends but i dont even tell my siblings so...well done!! definately a favorite!!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Dec. 18 2010 at 8:48 am

Awesome!!! haha "Gus, let's do a little thing called impulse control.  We try to control our impulses.  For example, I look at that cockroach over there and say to myself 'No, you cannot eat that.'" XD

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Dec. 18 2010 at 8:47 am

Thanks! :D

on Dec. 18 2010 at 8:30 am
thestorycritic GOLD, Hyderabad, Other

Live life King Size

I love Psych too!! :D And I loved it :)

Emmaline said...
on Dec. 11 2010 at 9:24 pm
this is so awsum and funny!!  i was smiling all the way threw!  haha :) good job!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 17 2010 at 6:27 am

lol Thanks! :D

on Nov. 16 2010 at 7:13 pm
NeverCaredForKool-Aid GOLD, Elkridge, Maryland

I don't believe in hell but I believe in my parent's couch-- Watsky

Interesting inspiration, but I liked the product.  I don't think many bffs would actually say something like that, but a lot of people wouldn't trust their best friend with such secrets- often with good reason.  I liked this, 5 stars.