Death Day | Teen Ink

Death Day

By Isaak DeMaio GOLD, Williamsville, New York
Isaak DeMaio GOLD, Williamsville, New York

One day all the things you have ever known will vanish without a trace,
for which day that is, you may never even know,
but when that day comes, be ready to grasp it from reality and strangle hold it,
to the best of your ability because on that day you will finally know what your life meant.
When you know the day your life will terminate,
every gasp of air, drink of water, movement you make,
will hold so much more value in your life because you know at that moment,
your life was really made up of the air you breathed and the movements you have made.
How does the reality feel that this day will come once and end at the same time,
it's the one thing you can't stop, you can't make a difference in and will be left defenseless,
when all of the other times you lived without knowing the fact this day is your future, your prime,
and the day that makes your life end in an unfashionable design in the ground.
Those last seconds tick... tick... tick... with a million thoughts racing in your head,
your heartbeats in hundreds from the adrenaline rush of the let down of the one person by your side,
and a thousand regrets pour out from realization to all those things you thought of but didn't ever do.
The way you now move will never be the same, the way you speak, the way you feel and everything else,
different because you'll appreciate everything given to you when it never had to come to you,
the opportunities never had to be there and life never had to come but the fact is,
have you ever really appreciated life until now?