The Girl with the Broken Mirror

There you are, or what’s left of you, at least
For your own sake, take a look at yourself
You must be the girl with the broken mirror
Because you’re not the girl I used to know

I remember the nights we spent
Laughing, smiling, making memories
Dreaming of Monday nights alone
With the girl I used to know

You surround yourself with fresh faces
Year after year, you’re all alone
Year after year, I try to forget
About the girl I used to know

I’m letting go of the fragile hope
This shadow of a wish in the back of my mind
That somewhere deep down inside you
Way deep down inside is the girl I used to know

The girl with the broken mirror
She can’t look at herself anymore
And it’s a shame you’ll never see
This girl I used to know

What changed you?
Where did it all go so wrong?
What changed you?
Who were you all along?

The girl with the broken mirror
She can’t look at herself anymore
And it’s a shame you’ll never see
This girl I used to know

Esperanza said...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 7:49 am
You know what i don't get about u??? you write depressing stories. When i just happen to write a funny story you rate it a 3 star...you story is good. But bring some life into your works....ik we all have different opinions and i gave ur article a 5 star bc it was well written but on content on a joy scale it would be 4 out of 10 don't rate peoples articles based on how depressing or funny they are

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 10:25 am

First of all, you are making some incorrect assumptions about my ratings for your story. Sure, your story was humorous and I did enjoy it, but your writing style needed some work. The grammar and spelling particularly stuck out, and sometimes fixing it can be as simple as letting someone else read your work and edit it before submitting it.

As to the depressing nature of this particular piece, that's purely by design. If you ever have to watch someone you love change into... (more »)

Esperanza replied...

thankyou for the clarification i'm sorry that i made assumsitions alot of times my article will get rated by people who write alot of depressing work two things

1. you are an excellent writer but as i said before a little life needs to be put into your poems/stories they are rele intriguing but they will not be as famous as the articles "Her him and the receptionist" and "Twilight saga in two minutes" you are definitely on ur way and ur farther than i am because i started here recently... (more »)

You're right, I did go a little bit overboard with my criticism, but I'm glad you understood what I meant, and I look forward to your next work :)

I understand what you mean about becoming as famous as "Twilight Saga in Two Minutes" and the other styled articles, but I think some stuff, like this poem in particular, is more of a way to just vent and get some feelings off of my chest, not to neccessarily become rich and famous.

You're an excellent writ... (more »)

Esperanza replied...
I guess ur rite and i shouldn't judge ur writings based off if they are depressing or funny you rele do put alot of feeling into ur works and they are rele good ur one of the best writers on teen ink and i hope u get urs published someday...

Esperanza replied...
hey i think u should think about a writing career... (if u want to ) go to silverbellspublishing.weebly put a (c o m) after it....without the spaces of course (sorry website won't let me put in website adresses

Dec. 30, 2010 at 11:08 am
Thank you, that's seriously very kind of you :) I am glad we are friends :)

Esperanza replied...
sure thing im still waiting back for a reply...hey, Timekeeper have you ever been rejected by a publishing company???

Actually, I haven't really sent out a lot of my stuff, what I've been trying to do is build up a portfolio of sorts with a wide variety of material, so far it's been going pretty well.

Esperanza replied...
that's good...i've been rejected twice...my works aren't the best yet i guess...but i'm still working on them...in fact the first time i was rejected my friend introduced me to this site it's kind of funny :)

Keep working at it and I'm sure you'll get accepted soon :D

Esperanza replied...
Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:55 am
hey good job ur work got posted on the website!!!!!!

I just got the email, it's awesome! Do you happen to know someone who works for them or something? Thanks so much!

Esperanza replied...
Jan. 5, 2011 at 5:45 am
i just looked on the website my play got on there too! ....do you want to be a famous writer some day???