To Write a Poem | Teen Ink

To Write a Poem MAG

my mind is blank
like the paper in front of me
a pencil, waiting anxiously in the wings
the stage is set
to write a poem

words, the actors
pacing around backstage
waiting to make their debut in this poem
and the director, inspiration
giving the cues

the curtain rises
each word plays a lead role
the music picks up speed, faster and faster
just as suddenly, it’s all over
and i have a poem.

on Jul. 31 2009 at 12:42 am
ShakingChandeliers SILVER, N.Highlands, California

"A thin layer of trust had formed in my mind, like a scab."

"I preferred albums to the more modern eight tracks. Albums came with sleeves which reminded me of clean underwear."
-Augusten Burroughs

I love it! I never thought of a poem as a play. That's beautiful.

brenda_023 said...
on Dec. 29 2008 at 9:55 pm
This poem is so unique. I love the metaphors. The description of how your actually writing a poem is so vivid. It's amazing how you're comparing it with a play and so different. All the poems I've read in my life are good but to actually write a poem of writing a poem is just genius. :D

nicegirl5 said...
on Dec. 5 2008 at 4:09 pm
I love this poem.i give it 2 thumbs up!You rock!

javars girl said...
on Nov. 18 2008 at 6:55 pm
i like all you poems

Oe98 said...
on Nov. 11 2008 at 11:16 pm
I like this, the metaphors and stanza break placement. But the grammar could be better. Like commas missing, and capitalization (cap. doesn't really have to change if you don't want it, you're the poet afterall, but grammar tells the reader how the poet wants his/her poem to be read) could be added.

haley03 said...
on Oct. 1 2008 at 3:38 pm
i love this...... it is so good....

mirra13 said...
on Sep. 17 2008 at 8:49 pm
I liked the way you described writing a poem and that really is how it's done. You made it so professional too.

on Aug. 31 2008 at 5:45 pm
Wow....this poem is great. The extended metaphor of the poem being like a play, and you are so in depth with this play and then at the end it brings you back to being a poem, it is very creative, great job Aliyah!

on Aug. 14 2008 at 11:16 pm
Wow. I like this poem. A LOT. :P Writing about writing, I like it.

I would take the first two lines and either add onto it and make two diff. stanzas. The perssure point, the 2nd and 3rd lines, can be divided and you can have two seperate stanzas. Or, you can add the 3rd and 4th lines of the first stanza onto the 2nd stanza then add onto the 1st stanza. If you can;t do that, then You could take the first two lines of the first stanza out and add the 3rd and 4th line of the first stanza onto the 2nd stanza, making it the first stanza. Either of those would create a smoother connection between those two stanzas.

Great work Aliyah. :D