A Poem To … This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This is a poem to john
I do not capitalize the name
Of a hypocrite
Of a racist
Of a let-down
Of a screaming lunatic
She says that this is not my battle to fight
That I shouldn’t hate him for what he did to her
I nod
I do not capitalize the name
Of an abusive husband
Of a self-centered man
Of a liar
When I call home I do not ask to speak to you
What would I say? Things I do not mean?
So, pass the phone
I do not capitalize the name
Of a man who won’t help himself
Of an abandoner
Who will come to my graduation? people ask
Well, all of the family members that matter, of course
But not him
I do not capitalize the name
Of a father

saryachan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This makes me think of my own lousy father...It makes me realise how I feel about him too..

P@in545 said...
I'm sorry you have to go through all that... your poem makes it seem like im experiencing it its a good work.

laliel said...
this is really good...
sad but good
i like it

Jimmy_flash said...
Dec. 10, 2009 at 10:43 am
i like the emotion you put into this poem i know exactly how you feel i have a piece of shit father also, but hey life goes on we cant look back but we can only see whats coming.

emily.a said...
Dec. 10, 2009 at 2:11 am
a very nice poem but sad too

Chrissy_L said...
This is so raw and so beautiful.

SarahB said...
Jul. 10, 2009 at 4:04 am
it's definitely raw.
i think that so much truth comes out of this. for me father is an obligated name, but an utterly empty meaning to mine. i'm really glad you have the confidence to post this because it really is a lovely piece of work.

guerababy said...
wow! this is amazing! u can feel the emotion a lot!

Alex H. said...
Jul. 8, 2009 at 2:35 am
its funny but i relate. my "dad" and i use that term lightly. was an abusive man, a cheater, an alcholic, and an all around B@$T@RD. but where as your mom, told you not to hate him, my mom encouraged it. but my mom is my hero.

LilJ<3 said...
This touched me. I could just feel the emotion that was screaming from this poem. No one should have to feel what you feel. Ever. But im glad u put ur heart and soul into this poem and let your emotions shine through. I pray that u find happiness in your life. Someone one who will truely love u and care for u as others have lacked. Continue to write and give hope to others...hang in there..

skye0114 said...
that was amazing and im sorry....

Yolanda G. said...
This was beautiful and it's great because we feel the emotion, and thank you so much for not holding back, or being scared to open up to us, i know it is helping others that are going through what you are.

one_of_a_kind_girl said...
Jul. 7, 2009 at 5:12 am
amazing. i can sense the feeling in it.

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 6, 2009 at 11:02 am
This is simply Amazing
Sad, but amazing

Sitav N. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:45 am
writing is such a medicine, arent u glad u've discovered it?

AshaMidnightOlympian said...
Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:15 am
I've dealt with depression, but it's nothing compared to what you've been through. I feel the truth in your words, and a lot of people don't want to hear the sad truth, but it doesn't change reality. Keep screaming out your opinions. Some people don't want to listen to what's happening all around them, but I don't want people to lie to me so I always feel safe and happy. You told it like it is, and I truly respect you for that. Plus if we didn't know despair, we wouldn... (more »)

lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is very good. I really like this. It is very deep and truly beautiful. You have a lot of talent.

~~If you have time, will you please check out my work? Comment and rate if you wish.

hereforyou said...
wow, your very good. if this is true: hang on, it wont last much longer if your about to graduate, so somewhere far..but keep writing it helps you through the darkest of times.

Tweedle Dee said...
wow. i cant imagine that my dad is awesome it must be terrible. so sorry. just hold on though, it'll get better. keep writting, it helps anything!

BrAnDy_XoxO said...
WOW! written really well, i can feel your anger in this poem. I love how the poem jumps out and screams out the words when your reading it. very good <3