Hug is all

“Are you okay?”
I need a hug is all I need
and that is all I want.
The closest I get is
“Are you okay?”
of which I always answer
“Yes.”
No matter what, I am always okay
if that is all you ask.
Give me a hug and I’ll crack,
I’ll break, you’ll hear me true.
I thought that was what you wanted.
No? Move along then,
Forget what I said.
Pretend all I said was yes.

AlaskaFrost This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
another great poem! there is so much tension and you convey it so well!!

LoudDreamer said...

I like it. How many people, expecially teens, are able to admit that they need a show of affection to make them feel better? That they arn't in contorl of everthing and need reasurance that things will be alright.

The line "I need a hug is all I need" was a little akward, perhaps with a comma in the middle and changing "is" to another word like "it" or "that". I don't really get "youll hear me true".

I think, however that this is an awsome poem. I like it alot probably because I... (more »)

izyfizy said...

My eyes watered up in this one. wow.

And I LOVE how you worked in dialouge! My poems NEVER end up having it in them! So, YAY for you!

SamiLou said...
I love how this poem just shows how vulnerable you are and how easily you can be shattered if someone lets themselves into your life. I can relate to it alot.

vagabond_age said...

I like this poem! it seems so simple but there is really a lot of emotion in it. The only little tiny itty bitty problem is gramatical: After "are you okay?" it should say "to which" not "of which"... unless that was intentional, not sure

Really good poem though! Its easy to relate to. :)

ReadWriteBreathe said...
I love this. It's how I feel a lot, like I feel like bursting and if someone asks if i'm ok I just say yes. You really capture the emotion in this. Good job.

moon_beam said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:21 am
Does this have anything to do with my brakedown at church

SpringRayyn replied...
No, I don't think I knew you when I wrote this either.

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really love it, its very personal especially because when most people ask me if i'm okay, i always say yes and this shows me an insight to when i ask other people if they are okay and they're clearly not to care a little more. Anyway, great job!!

super_nerd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 4:50 am
I can definitely relate. Funny how people say one thing and mean another, both when you lie and say youre ok, and when they pretend they want the bad news.  People want to be sympathetic, but often they don't feel they have the time/energy when it comes down to it

SunnySummers said...
This was good. You can seriously feel sadness in the way the poem is written. Sometimes people just say they're okay, wearing a mask over their true pain, but with just the slightest interest being shown, they'll admit that things aren't going well at all. Whether other people understand you or not, God always knows what you're going through and He can be the greatest comfort to you.

Lonleydandy said...
Awww..sometimes I feel this way toooooo......Great poem!

minnieokie said...
This poem is really good.  One of my favorites.  To me, it screams it's message to the reader.

Simplemelody replied...
This is well written not to mention short, simple, and to the point. It has innocence about it that makes it even better. Even with the short length it still packs a strong punch of emotion. This is a really good poem.