The fool with his sad, sweet smile This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

‘O sad, sunken man
Why do you sit upon a bed of stone?
With droplet tears sprinkled iridescent
Upon your sun kissed cheeks?’

His sorrow-dipped eyes climb an unstable ladder
From a spot in the distance
(And a window to infinity)
To meet mine own

‘Witness of my distress!’ he cries with
A tin voice that chimes a bell
‘Hear the story that I have been wound
I pray you bear my heart’s desperate sobs’

Tell me, he did, lenses glazed with nostalgia
Straw colored hair in a lovely mess
Hands’ fingers feeling the invisible being
Of his vanished history…

He told me then of his spirit
Which was gold and true and kind
Woven by the cherubs
When their countenance was aligned
But he was born with a broken tongue
And his soul never took to sail
On the charming waters of other souls
For humanity and its gale

He held his dreams of being loved
For he was a rather precious thing
But the one left behind as the songbirds took flight
He was the bird with a single wing
And so it was, the dew soaked truth
His heart was vacant, for want of a friend
Stumbling through life with three left feet
The story’s anticlimactic end

The fool looked at me with a sad, sweet smile
His stained glass face painted with prayer
I gave him back his steady gaze
Through a complex exchange of hands

He looked hopeful, for a savored moment
As if I would mercifully heal his pain
He extended his palm to me, his hope
With a thoroughly desperate mien

I?
I stalked away from the sorry soul
Leaving the fool on his bed of stone
To whimper alone in the darkness
And shiver and groan
And weep

IamtheshyStargirl said...

So here I am listening to lemon-drop music, and reading silent rain. I can hear two things, the sniffle of a sad, sweet smile, and a Lighthouse song (Not that the song means much in particular to me, except smoke and silently twanging guitar picked by imagined, gnarled fingers, a voice rising over it, smoky and clear.)

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
The last line is a broken mirror, shivering and vibrating on the floor, setting the heart and soul afire, the shoulders tremble in realization of what happens inside and on the sweet, white page.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

And the lemon-drops are just like raindrops as they fall from above and splash against the soft skin of the mind. And the raindrops are quiet, but that's why they have so much to say to the few who listen to them. It sounds like you are engulfed in a beautiful moment.

I am listening to the Ballad of the Absent Mare; hearing the gentle notes of the guitar as well as the woeful tone of the poet's voice is like embracing a wild bird, feeling the softness of the feather... (more »)

At first, I thought that writing this poem was a mistake; it's not very clever, not very pretty.

But it's pure and honest, so I wouldn't take it back.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
The poet will never know the true worth of his words, I suppose.

leafy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 10:03 am
Not clever? Not pretty? Yes, I suppose IamtheshyStargirl is right – you will never fully comprehend how moving your words are.

Emilia901 said...
Wow.... The words needed to describe this piece are at a lost to me because I am just too moved with emotion. You're talent is one I envy, bravo =^_^=

To use the German word, Danke.

GuitarGirl92851 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 11:53 am
Perhaps in a way, we are all fools with sad sweet smiles, but it takes something monumentous to bring out our inner fool.

Indeed, that is a convincing hypothesis.

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
oh sure, puppet, "to whimper alone in the darkness and shiver and groan and weep," but my stuff is really depressing.-I love this. you're awesome captain.

I'm deeply flattered, Boosflash. Indeed, your stuff is depressing; that's why I lap it up with such considerable eagerness of tongue. But I'm no one's puppet, except for a man in black named Emilio.

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
when i say "puppet" i, in no way, work or wonder(yeah I know) mean puppet. its more like "puppet" as in "my dear beloved, upon whom we've gazed upon with the hope of..."

Oct. 11, 2010 at 11:27 am

I understand...

Although I did enjoy being a puppet for a while. I believe we are all puppets, but who's pulling those lovely strings? Except for Emilio, of course.

...our sad and empty instincts.

What a beautifully pessimistic thing to say! I believe I will incorporate that into a poem.

I better tell Emilio that he is a mere sad and empty instinct.

yeah...whoever that guy is. i think i'll write something pessimistic with images of you rumbling through the background noise.

He is my puppeteer.

Sounds charming; however, I don't rumble, I fly. Or sometimes I strut. Or sometimes I soumersalt. Or sometimes I glide. Or sometimes I...etc.

well the thing is there is an assemblage of poetic junk formed into what has come to be known to mankind as a slope. so either your rumbling through it, or you fell off and your dead.

I do suppose I'd rather rumble.