"I AM" | Teen Ink

"I AM"

By AMBAR1713 BRONZE, El Paso, Texas
AMBAR1713 BRONZE, El Paso, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"You see things; and you say, 'why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say,"Why not?"

-George Bernard Shaw

I am appreciative yet, picky
I wonder why nothing is ever perfect no matter how hard we try
I hear people call me a perfectionist but I am not
I see things I wish were perfect but can’t do anything to change
I want life to be simple but, it’s not
I am appreciative, yet picky

I pretend like nothing is ever wrong
I feel like fixing every fault
I touch things I want to change
I worry about not succeeding
I cry when I see something extremely beautiful
I am appreciative, yet picky

I understand nothing is ever one hundred percent correct but, we can do our best to make it so
I say why can’t we do our best to make it amazing?
I dream that one day everything will be right
I try to make things beautiful and hardly ever do
I hope to do my best to succeed in this world
I am appreciative yet, picky

Tyson100 said...
on Oct. 15 2010 at 1:18 pm
Great poem!  It has a very honest and open feel to it and I think many of us can relate to the author's thoughts and feelings.

Supergal said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:53 pm
I came back to read this poem again.  I keep thinking "I feel that way too!

on Oct. 13 2010 at 1:01 pm
Amber, Thank you for your beautiful and thought provoking poem! I love it! I will read it again and again!

Lucy said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 12:18 pm
I have known Amber all her life and I have watched her grow into a beautiful, talented young woman.  I have always known of her love for the written word, and this poem shows just how talented she is.  Keep writing Amber, I know you have so much to share with the world! 

kitty said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 9:35 am
Such a lovely poem.  I wish I could have written such a beautiful poem when I was in High School.  I can relate to what Amber is saying in this poem.  Amber's poem reveals the broken aspects of life.  She touches those with love and gentleness.

Grandpa said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 8:19 am
Amber your poem really touched my heart. I always new you were wise beyound your years. 

Senor John said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 10:23 pm

Your poem captures the frustrations, the joys, the fears, and the celebrations each of us experiences in life.  You express wisdom beyond your years.

PaPa said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 9:18 pm
Geez, to be working at the top of the taxonomy at such an early age.  Too cool!

on Oct. 12 2010 at 6:58 pm
I can relate.  Love it. 

cookie said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 6:55 pm
This is a wonderful poem.  Touched my heart and soul. 

on Oct. 12 2010 at 6:30 pm
AMBAR1713 BRONZE, El Paso, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

-George Bernard Shaw

Thank you very much for your comments!

keatijc said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 4:30 pm
This poem is beautiful. It shows how hard you work to make this world a better place; it shows your sensitivity to the world around you. We are amazed by your abilty to voice your feelings through poetry.

jimekeating said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 4:01 pm
It's often enough I find a poem that touches me like Ambers' Poem.  I love that I can relate to her on such a personal level.  If only we all took the time to examine ourselves as deeply and share as openly...what a wonderful world.

Colleen said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 12:37 pm
I can feel the emotion in this poem and recognize so much of myself in it. Being a perfectionist, or wanting to be one, is just as you described in your work - "appreciative, yet picky".

Aunt Vee said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 10:08 am
Amber happens to be my niece.  I have been a teacher of English Language Arts for many years and must say that even though I am biased, this is a truly magnificent poem.  It is deep and rich and true to the title "I Am".  After reading the poem I do know more about who Amber really is.  I love it.

TweetyBird said...
on Oct. 11 2010 at 10:33 am
I love the tone of this poem, it's gentle acceptance of what she can't change, but her determination to do her best.