A Plain-Girl Angst This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Why does pretty
decide so much?
It will be gone one day,
giving way to
sagging,
wrinkles,
and liver spots.
Once lovely, left with

Nothing.

While the beautiful people
all make out,
the plain girls just
sigh
wishing for love.
They get

Nothing.

Their time will come
when everybody grows up.
But for now

Nothing.

They are smart,
they are funny,
they are wise,
and love to write.
However,
at the bottom
of the social food chain
that means

Nothing.

Mr.GetBuckets said...
May 26, 2016 at 11:54 am
I feel it needs some work although the parallel structure is very pleasant. It is catchy but the message is not as clear as it should be. I would start off by starting over and picking a better topic. Then come up with something a lot better

orgin said...
that is very true..     peace:)

Charliieee said...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 9:32 am
beautifully written poem, but have faith. i am one also one of those plain girls, stuck with my head in the clouds and my pen onto page, but i have a boyfriend who loves me even more for my poetry... so have faith because the right guys loves us because we are better than the plastic beautiful people :)

darkhairedalice said...
agreed. but in order to become un-plain we can always wear short shorts and low cut shirts and cake our faces with make-up right?! ...no, that was really good, props to you friend.

Ugbaad K. said...
i love how you used a common concept and wrote it in such a different way... awesome poem

HayWire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love it, love it, love it.
and its soooo true.

but.. this is in condolence to myself. XD... maybe its not so great as it appears? maybe, teenage love isnt great at all.

but there has to be some good guy out there. meh.

jojo replied...
this is sssssooooooo true i can totally related