War Within | Teen Ink

War Within

By Deborah Johnson BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Deborah Johnson BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

We love those who hurt us the most and we hurt those who love us the most. Why is that we always want what we can't have? Why is it that we fall in love with the people that will never think about you before you go to sleep. That will never talk about you to your friends. That won't even realize you exist, no matter how much you look at them in the hall. Why is it that you fall in love with them? There are so many questions of love. So many feelings that will never be returned.

There will always be that one person who will love you unconditionally yet you choose to let them down, even when YOU know how it feels to be rejected.

That one person who always listens to you.
That one person who you can cry in front of.
That one person you can say anything to and they'll always forgive you.
That one person who will never judge you, no matter how much you screw up.
That one person who strives to talk to you everyday.
That one person you talk to about who YOU'RE in love with.
That one person who will always stand by you even when you're wrong.

They love you as much as you love the one that constantly denies you. Yet, why do you hurt that person more than any other? Don't you realize every time you scorn them, every time you yell at them, every time you complain about them...you're tearing out a piece of their heart? But don't blame yourself, our hearts are murder weapons.

Love is decipherable. It's like a twisted war inside ourselves. A war in which we kill those who love us, and get killed by those we love.