Absent Glances | Teen Ink

Absent Glances

July 26, 2010
By wordsflowingfreely BRONZE, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
wordsflowingfreely BRONZE, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Boy:
I see her down the hallway.
My heart takes a huge leap as I struggle to find the courage not to turn away.
She’s walking closer; she’s less than a few people away. I can see how soft her skin is, how silky and straight her hair is.
Her eyes, the color of mixed onyx and chocolate, scan the crowded hallway.
I feel my body scream ‘look at me, look this way!’
I move to the other side of the hallway to be closer as she continues, now, to walk my way.
Every moment and with every second that passes by, she comes closer and closer.
I cannot help but feel the development of a strong attraction, a strong tie.
Finally, we meet in the middle. So close yet so far, almost face to face yet not touching at all.
I want to reach pass the space between us and pull her towards me, filling the gap between us and the one within my heart.
But…never once does she see me, look at me, or acknowledge my presence…she walks right on by.
A piece of my heart escapes from the bonds within my chest and onto the ground, where it will follow her, wherever she may go.
I close my eyes and breathe in, humiliation begins to seep through my skin turning my face red and pink.
Anger replaces this humiliation, then pity, then grief.
What is wrong with me?
Is she more than I deserve?
I shake my head and clench my fist.
I continue walking never turning back.

Girl:
I see him down the hallway.
My heart rapidly beats within my chest.
I keep my feet moving trying not to fail fate and the test it has given me.
Him. Him! So handsome, beautiful, walking with such simplicity.
I want to run to him and bring him into the warmth of my arms.
He’s close, so close.
He moves to my side of the hallway, gracefully avoiding collision with the passing crowd.
My heart skips a beat and I hold my breath as the world slows to a slight pause.
I can see his sharp features, the frame of his body, his beautiful eyes, and his luscious lips.
Every moment and with every second that passes by, he comes closer and closer.
I cannot help but feel the development of a strong attraction, a strong tie.
Finally, we meet in the middle, nearly face to face. So close yet so far.
I want to reach across the vast empty space and brush my fingertips against his cheek.
I want to rush to him and fill the empty void in my heart like Jack did for Rose and Romeo for Juliet. I want to close the gap that is opening within my heart.
But…never once does he look at me, see me, or acknowledge my presence…he walks straight on by.
I feel a piece of my heart leave me and go with him, to wherever he goes.
Tears fill my eyes, humiliation and embarrassment glows red upon my face.
Anger replaces humiliation, then sadness, and then grief.
So strong are my feelings for him, it’s impossible to wish for him to feel the same way.
I feel empty, hopeless, foolish, and hurt. A hole is left within me, a vast ocean of loneliness brushes the shores of my pain.
What is wrong with me?
Is he more than I deserve?
I pinch myself and walk away to my next class, as tears stream from my eyes.