Black

She appraises the blue cotton sky
Through stylish blackened windows
That frame her room, her eyes, her life.
They push back the crudely inquisitive
Blots of color that threaten to mar
The pure blackness.
They restrain the sunlight that dares
To slant across her
Gloved fingers clasped around the neck
Of a wineglass, filled
With thick black coffee
Not weakened by the sugar that masks the bitterness
Not diluted by the milk that ruins the black.
Black.
The absence of color and the denial of it.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is quite a good poem. The unique style in which you write this reminds me vaguely of the unexpected wording of Marcus Zusak. The feeling that this piece gave me was, I admit, unappealing. But your talent is clear.

quirks replied...

Again, thanks. I wasn't sure how this piece would be seen. I'm not really very sure myself what the point really is. But I'm glad you read it and could appreciate it.

I may be showing a lot of ignorance here, I have not heard of Marcus Zusak. Who is he?

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

My compliment was heartfelt.

Ah, my friend. Have you not read Marcuz Zusak's The Book Thief, you have not lived to the fullest extent. The story is narrated beautifully by death.

But that doesn't mean you are ignorant. The name is somewhat obscure among society.

quirks replied...
Yes, I've heard of that book. I never read it because everyone told me it was so great and usually popular books are really quite flimsy. Twilight, for example. But you say it's very well-written?

Sadly, popular books are often 'quite flimsy.' A precious few escape such qualities, though (like Harry Potter, arguably). Tonestly, there is nothing less like Twilight than the Book Thief.

Honestly, not tonestly. But Zusak is exceptionally creative. He uses lines like, 'the girl held the man by one hand and the briefcase held him by the other.' Once again, it is the opposite of Twilight on the literature spectrum. It deserves popularity.