I n v i s i b l e

My pathetic attempts at flirting
Are viewed as comical
To the few
Who even notice I'm trying.

I smile and bat my eyes, Invisible
While you babble about this or that hot girl.
Outside, I'm the epitome of carefree
Inside, impossibly miserable.

I'd rather go unnoticed
Than be seen as desperate and dumb -
But for once I want to feel special,
Not, as usual, NUMB.

You never look at me THAT way,
With an Interested Gleam in your eye.
It’s as if you only see me
As a boring common shade of gray.

It’s not as if you don’t know I exist –
We’ve been friends for a while.
Why are you always searching for “the one”
When I’m right here in your midst?

Maybe one day my invisibility will fade
And you'll see me as I'd always hoped -
But you'll regret all the time you kept me waiting
And wish I would have stayed.

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm:
i really like it and yes i agree every one does go through this stage, but you never know, it could be working the opposite way aswel :) good work! 

GangstaEyesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm :
Huh. Never thought about it that way! Thanks :)

alanacarlene said...

You are so right! This is exactly how I feel now...it hurts a lot :'(

I really liked:

"It’s not as if you don’t know I exist –
We’ve been friends for a while.
When I’m right here in your midst?

Maybe one day my invisibility will fade
And you'll see me as I'd always hoped -
And wish I would have stayed.... (more »)

Sept. 30, 2010 at 8:35 pm :
Yeah, it DOES hurt. Thanks so much for the comment, I'm glad you liked it :)

alanacarlene replied...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 4:05 pm :
Ha yeah and now I'm waiting for the hurt to go away! I wish I could poof! it away

ShernayB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

yes,i can definitely relate to this.

but i realized that maybe that person who doesn't recognize you as you have given appeal to them...then maybe that person is not the one for you...

because the one...you are destined to be with...will not be oblivious to the fact that you're the one...rather they show it or not...

:) great work. i loved it!

Sept. 2, 2010 at 7:27 pm :
Yeah, you're definitely right. Its just really hard to accept in the moment though, you know? When you want it so much :/ Thanks for the comment.

Drizzle29 said...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 12:44 am:
lovelovelove. <3

Aug. 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm :
Thank you :))))

olican16 said...
I like this... alot!! this is a great poem! i love it ! one of my fav's by u!!

riley... said...
this poem really gives off a lot of emotion and desire... its like you wrote it right in front of the guy that couldn't notice you. great piece

Aug. 13, 2010 at 10:12 am :
Thank you so much - and I pretty much DID write this in front of that guy :) And turns out I'm not invisible after all - he finally noticed me. Thank you for your comment!

QuixoticDreamer replied...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 4:59 pm :

I know exactly how this feels, because I'm there right now... I'm still hoping to be noticed. I'm glad you finally were, it's an encouragement!

Aug. 26, 2010 at 6:11 pm :
Thanks so much. I'm glad you relate and wish you good luck! It'll all work out if its meant to, in my opinion :))

aishia_duh said...
this is really good, and i can relate to this :)....you have talent

Aug. 13, 2010 at 10:12 am :
I'm glad you realte - and thanks for the comment!

ellyn-bo-bellyn_2014 said...
Aug. 6, 2010 at 9:08 am:
gosh! IS it possible for oyu to write something bad? :P all your work is great! This one especially... I'm glad your clock didn't run out. You see what happened! You're welcome! (It was defiantely those rocks in your socks!! :P)