Dear Daddy | Teen Ink

Dear Daddy

July 7, 2010
By Anonymous

I used to be a happy girl, carefree and fun.
I used to sing and dance and laugh, not caring who saw.
I loved you, looked up to you, I was "daddy's little girl"
Now I am, in a slight sense of the word, an orphan.
I hurt, I cry, I cut.
I miss who you once were. Where did you go?
Every morning I awake, your haunting words scold me. Reminding me of a hope to never be.
They tell me i'm not good enough. They scream at me, words I can never repeat.
Each night, bad dreams await me.
Visuals of the things you did when I made you angry.
My lip, busted and bleeding. Face bright red with anger and wet with tears.
Long sleeves covered what was left behind when she grabbed me. Your only excuse being, "She was just trying to help."
Oh daddy, where did you go?
I loved you, I needed you. But i'm sorry, it's too late.
Yes, my heart still aches.
But I have come to realize that things will never change.
One day, I will receive the gift of the ability to love and raise children.
They will be my life, my love, my heart, my soul.
And 'til my last breath, I will make sure that they are happy, carefree, and fun.
I'll be certain that they sing, and dance, and laugh, and don't care who sees.


The author's comments:
The inspiration for this piece is my relationship with my estranged father.