Why Does Your Name Have to Be the Same as His? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I can't help but love that smile of yours
the one I only saw for the first time on Monday
– a six-day lifetime ago –
the smile punctuated by blue braces,
the one that bubbles into a chortle
or a full-fledged, open-mouthed laugh.

I can't help but want to just sit and
listen to you talk all day
– you'd do it, too, you chatterbox –
just sit and listen to your stories about
paintball, firecrackers, and NRH2O
the stories that make me laugh
and show off an already-patented
caused-by-you smile.

I can't help but feel guilty as I hug you good-bye,
– an innocent, “all arms, no body” hug –
but nonetheless, I feel like I'm breaking rules,
tearing down walls, trust built between
me and another boy with your same
six-letter first name
– that just makes this all the more tangled and
rough –

and when I smile and say, “Bye, Andrew!”
as you wander away,
I can't help but wonder which Andrew I'm
moving in the opposite direction of.

fiNd_THe_fLaMEThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25, 2012 at 11:47 am:
wonderful, easily related to, fluid! great job! ps. please read rate and comment on my work! id like to hear your feedback very much!

LetLoveIn... said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:00 pm:
wonderful! :) this made me smile bc so many people can relate to this! I'd love to read more poems like this. not to mention it is fluid & sounds natural :)

Paige101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Words can't describe how amazing this poem is... :) Five stars.

ashleyn said...
I really love this poem. I love the last stanza! (:

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really love this captain. I love the third line, the last line, and how you begin every stanza. 5 stars on the monkey.

possiblylindsey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 3:54 pm :
thankssss[= but by "third line" do you mean the "- a six day lifetime ago -"  one or the third stanza?

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm :
the first one. (third line captain)