Unforgettable | Teen Ink

Unforgettable

By SarahReeder PLATINUM, Waynesville, Ohio
SarahReeder PLATINUM, Waynesville, Ohio

"If God is all you have, then you have all you need."
"You don't need water to feel like you're drowning."
"Whats meant to be will always find its way."

I look to you, your piercing blue eyes brighter than the billions of gleaming stars above us. Usually I would wish on each and every one, but right now im content. Im happy.
We talk as the smoky fire crackles in the dark Kentucky air. But I don’t feel pressured to make conversation. You know Im shy and accept it. As I lie in my bunk staring at the cabin ceiling I think of you, stupidly grinning in the darkness. Welcoming the butterflies back to my stomach, I hadn’t felt their nervous fluttering in a long time.
The next day is our last but we try not to focus on that. As we pack for the long trek back home, back to reality, I look towards you and catch you looking toward me. You smile that sheepish grin, cursing yourself for getting caught. “Please don’t ever get braces” I think to myself in sorrow, “I love your crooked smile just the way it is”.
You grab my sunglasses and playfully put them on. I try to take them back but when you laugh that perfect laugh Im rendered helpless.
I shouldn’t be doing this, shouldn’t be falling, for in a few hours we’ll be leaving.
Who knows when I’ll see you again?
But unfortunately my heart wasn’t as strong as my head.
So finally, we have to leave. I look at you, memorizing your eyes, your smile, your voice, so I won’t ever, ever forget.
You hug me, and it was bittersweet. This was my first real hug, the kind you just really didn’t want to let go of. I knew right then that you’d be hard to forget but that’s fine with me because I would never want to.