A Thousand Wishes

If I could have a thousand wishes
I'd wish that man would swim with fishes.
I'd wish that girl would find her head
I'd wish the creak out of my bed.
Wish the life I want to know
Wish upon things; how they should go.
For the lost sock my foot never knew
For the boy; his eyes were blue.

I'd wish up a storm
I'd wish up a squall
I'd wish the party wasn't so loud down the hall.
There'd be candied health
And the exercise chair
Instant wealth
And easy-straight hair.
Wish upon wishes
Change upon change
That would go on and multiply
Again and again.

But I bet I could do
Really I could
For just a few wishes
Please if you would.
I'd wish up some love
All good and sweet
And sprinkle it well
At everyones feet.
Tracks to the mall
Tracks down my hall
Tracks to the grump
Who lives in St. Paul.
And then pretty soon
With the love everywhere
It'd all float up
And into our hair.
Someone would breathe it
And cough and sneeze
And the whole world would catch
A happy disease.

So for all of the wishes
I thought I would wish
From the smallish to large
And almost biggish.
I don't need them I guess
When it's all said and done
I'd just wish for love
To fix everyone.

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 7:46 am
The feeling of love and happiness is spread to every one who reads this amazingly written poem, so maybe you don't need those thousand wishes after all! Great stuff, maybe could you check out some of my stuff? Thanks and keep writing!

1011says replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 8:16 am
This poem is a really good

Danica said...
Aug. 1, 2010 at 1:09 am
I absolutely love this! And I have to agree with tara, that this was so wonderful because it was light-hearted and happy but meaningful and happy at the same time.  You've got a lot of talent! Please tell me what you think of my work sometime :)

tara* said...
I agree, i was reminded of shel silverstein as well. But what I wanted to say was that it is nice to read a meaningful, well written poem that is not dark and angsty, or about sadness or loss of love. I get caught up in thinking that all good poems come from dark places, and I'm not sure why. This is the first time in a long time I have read a poem that i liked that was no so dark. Thank you.

Melanie R. replied...
You're welcome, and thank you very, very much! I have come to notice that a lot of poetry is dark and depressing, and a lot of people commend the dark writing for being insightful or helping to expose something terrible in the world....or readers just like the angst. I have nothing against it, but I like writing happier poetry, mostly because people tend to pay so much attention to the bad things nowadays....I want to help put focus on the happy things. I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :) 

Scarecrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'd just wish for sandwich.

Melanie R. replied...
Hahaha, whatever floats your boat! :)

katiepickelsimer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a wonderful poem. It's just indescribable and I'll let someone else explain how good it is. :)

Melanie R. replied...
Thank you!! Your short compliment is just as good as any long explanation. :)

Miseltoe said...
i also like the rhyming its simplistic which makes it lighter but the slant rhyme in it draws attention to certain parts. great job :)

Melanie R. replied...
Thanks so much! I can honestly say I have no idea what slant rhyme is, but thank you. ^^;

Miseltoe replied...
slant rhyme is when it doesnt really rhyme complety... like change and again they have a similar sound but there not exact rhyme like hall and mall. So it makes it flow and brings attention.  :)

Melanie R. replied...
Ohhh...well thank you for teaching me something new! :D

Skye_Rocketz said...
Wow this is really good :D It should be on a poster or something!!!

MelxRose replied...
Haha, thank you! I don't know if it's that good, but I'm gladyou think so. :)

crubs3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so great!!! i love it!!!! if you could please rate and comment on my work that would be great!!! thanks and ur really good!!!

MelxRose replied...
Thanks a bunch. :) I'll be sure to return the favor!

MelanieLouise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:44 am
i love this and your point of view. keep writing, Mel

MelxRose replied...
Thanks much!!

brax34 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:40 am
beautiful poem, its amazing! four out of five stars, the only thing that i would change is that the rhyming is slightly generic (head-bed, wishes-fishes) just a suggestion though, i do really like this poem