Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

By carelyn SILVER, Granada Hills, California
carelyn SILVER, Granada Hills, California

"Simplicity is the keynote of true elegance."

Absence of my father allows me to horse around
I’m from a home with no solid foods available, instead mush and lard gravy
Kate Adams, the ship boarded to dock in Memphis sustains segregation between the white and black folks
I walk outside to see the “chain gang”—the elephants who look for trouble
Down the street I spy the Saloon that supplies shelves of tempting alcohol
I fear white folks and feel an inferior complexity within their presence
Mama always tells me, “You’re a fool”
I don’t ever receive pity money from my own father, especially after what he’s done to us
In desperate need of literary texts to read; I strive to learn
After supervising the delivery of coal by the ‘Coalman’, the invited stranger teaches me how to count
Mama has strokes and falls into a state of paraplegic palsy continuously
I choose to live with Uncle Clark while Mama is cared for by her siblings in Granny’s house
Uncle Clark is determined to provide stability for me, too bad I return home after awhile
Once I return to Granny’s house, I frantically search for a variety of jobs
I am required to respond to the white folks with a “yes sir/ma’am” and “no sir/ma’am”
One of the many jobs I obtain is performing a diverse range of chores given by a white lady
She asks me if I steal and states how I’ll “never be a writer”, I hope to prove her wrong.
I’m from Jackson, yet locate towards Beale Street and find room in Mrs. Moss’s house
There, I am introduced to Bess who is convinced that I am the love of her life
To escape the suffocation and pressure of Mrs. Moss’ persistence, I look for a job
I find work in an Optical Trade Company where Mr. Crane is eager to hire an Algebraic mathematician
As soon as I familiarize myself in the company, Mr. Pease and Reynolds oppress my blackness by abusing their authority; forcibly, I resign
I come across a building and begin work immediately by running errands and cleaning eyeglasses
Trouble ahead, Mr. Olin insists I “knife it out” with Harrison, another errand (black) boy from a rival company across the street
I’m from an unstable workplaces, where Harrison and I are forcibly persuaded to box one another—four rounds for five dollars. Bruised and feeling hatred toward myself, I earned easy yet dirty money.
Aunt Maggie and I decide to move Chicago, following the arrival of my paralyzed mother and brother