Field of Hopes | Teen Ink

Field of Hopes

By Zereptina BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia
Zereptina BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia

"Don't live in the past, Don't look to the future... stay here, with him, with her, with them... Live in the present. "

I stand in a field of hopes, drowning in the seas of sorrow. Once, a good many years ago, I flew.
I flew high above the clouds, staring down upon the blurred colors, honorable monuments, and faded tombstones… I flew over the endless tears, the bitter laughter, the masked fear, the blinding hatred… blocking it all out, watching as it passed in a slow, suspenseful movement that drew tears to my eyes. I flew, to what, I thought, was freedom.
No one told me what I might meet, once I found this world. No one spoke of the encounters that I might face, once I entered, what was to be, the light.
I was free when I flew… but now, I am bound, trapped in an eternal cycle, never to see the sky again… never to fly again…
I stand, separate, isolated, trapped on this everlasting night. I outstretch my arms, clinging to that last ounce of light, that fading aura, which was once my heart… my memories.
So, here I stand, in a field of hopes. I drown in the seas of sorrow, never, to fly again. So… is this freedom?

I was sort of "unhappy" when I wrote this, and tried to transfer my emotions and memories into this. It didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but oh well.