The Bike Boy | Teen Ink

The Bike Boy

By Katie_Bleu_Kaioko BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
Katie_Bleu_Kaioko BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland

Once, when I was little, on a hot summer day, I was playing video games in my living room when I heard a noise from in front of my house. Then I heard a scream, it was the scream of a young man no more than eleven years old. I looked out my window, after pausing my quest to save the universe from the evil Ganondorf, and saw that there was a boy laying in the street with a bike on top of him.

I ran out into my yard to see if he was okay. I stopped at the curb and looked both ways before walking out into the street. When I got to him, he was crying and had cuts all over his arms and one side of his face. I asked him if he was okay and he told me he thought his leg might be broken. When I looked at his leg, I saw that there was a kick stand shoved through his calf muscle. I told him I didn't think it was broken and that I'd go call for help.

I started to run back to my house to call for an ambulance, when I thought that maybe while I was gone, he'd be hit by a car, so I went and got my bike, wheeled it up next to him like a barricade so that any moron with a car would have to stop to avoid hitting it. I ran to my house, picked up the phone, and dialed nine-one-one.

I explained to the operator that there was a boy in the road who was bleeding from his calf. She asked me if any adults were there with him and I told her no. She asked me if there were any cars in the street and I told her no, but that I had put my bike up just in case. She told me that that was very smart and that I could hang up the phone because the ambulance would be there soon. I did, and I ran back out to the boy.

I had to stand there and wave my arms around to keep cars from coming too close to him on the side without the bike. Eventually, the ambulance saw me waving and stopped. They loaded the boy into the ambulance and drove him away.

I wheeled my bike back to my shed and went back into my house.

An hour or so later, after my mom had come home, a reporter showed up and asked to talk to me. Once again, I paused my epic fate-of-the-universe quest and walked outside with her. There were large T.V. Cameras, and she asked me to look at one. The man behind the camera I was looking at counted backwards from five and a red light came on on the top of the camera. Then the reporter started to talk;

Merely an hour ago, this eight-year-old girl saved a boy's life with the use of her bike and her quick thinking. Using her bike as a barricade on one side of the boy, and herself as a traffic signal on the other, this young lady kept the seriously wounded boy from being hit by traffic and flagged down an ambulance, essentially saving the boy's life. Little girl, do you have anything to say to the boy you just saved?

Sure I do, I said. I hope you get better real soon okay? And when you do, be sure to come by and tell me whether or not that leg was broken, so that I can say I told you so. But I have something to say to my neighbors, especially the grownups; I saw you guys looking out your windows, why didn't you come help?

I wrote this based on a conglomorate of experiences. A boy really did have his kickstand shoved through his calf, I did have to flag down an ambulance, and I have spoken to a news reporter, but they were all seperate incidents.