Advice This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

They say to color inside the lines,
But think outside the box,
They say to keep one step ahead,
But still turn back the clocks.

They say to wash my hands with soap,
But then to hug a tree,
They say discrimination's wrong,
While on a killing spree.

They say to blend into the crowd,
But also stay unique,
They say to have an outspoken voice,
While still remaining chic.

They say to listen to my folks,
But still to swerve and sway,
Insist I play by all their rules
When none have been displayed.

They say to follow on their path,
But take untrodden road,
They urge my questions to come forth,
While stuck in silent mode.

Demand the perfect answer to
Queries they have not posed,
Expect me to still read their mind,
With privacy imposed.

They say that all will come to end,
But new cannot be taught,
They say to climb my way up top,
While keeping down my thoughts.

They contradict and contravene,
They mix and mash and mold,
They play my heart on plucked bow strings,
With wisdoms of the old.

emilyjoe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely fantastic. I felt it. SO good.

IWillDream54 said...
May 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm:
Absolutely. Loved.

writingfashionista said...
This was excellent! Loved the wording in it. I can totally relate to the things you talk about in this poem. Great job!

LoveSickenedRebel said...
this was so good!!!!! thanks for your comment and  your really good too!!!!!

crubs3This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm :
Thankyou!!

KathrynPaige said...
I can completely relate! You put everything I think into perfect english!

Aug. 4, 2010 at 10:01 pm :
Thanks so mcuh!!!

freezewingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 4:31 pm:
wow this is amazing! i can completely relate! I love your work and can't believe none of it's been published in the magazine!! :)

Jul. 20, 2010 at 7:25 pm :
Thanks sooo mcuh!!! it means alot!!!!

love2run said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm:
This one is my favorite!!! It is soo true, and I can relate so easily. I love your writing, great job!

Jul. 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm :
Thankyou soo  much!!!!

Unwritten said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 9:15 am:
i absoluetly love this lol its truthful an totally real. nice job:)

Jul. 15, 2010 at 11:28 am :
Thankyou!!!!!

Koala123 said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm:
that was awesome. it was long but true

Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:31 pm :
Thanks sooo much!!!!

brax34This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 11:44 am:
amazing!  i have fallen in love with your poetry, i hope more people read it and fall in love with it too

Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:30 pm :
Wow!!! thankyou sooo much!!!

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:59 am:
man, you're really good captain. i love the rhyming schemism and everything eslism. do your dance captain. 5 stars.

Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:30 pm :
Thankyou!!!!!!!

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm :
mm hmm....