In the Mirror

I look in the mirror-
They hold your soul you know.
And someone I’ve never been sure of,
Stares back.

I look in the mirror-
They are the start of stories.
And whispers I can’t really hear,
Filter back.

I look in the mirror-
They reflect all they see.
And sometimes I close my eyes,
Against what this mirror has seen.

I look in the mirror-
A dare at the party.
They laugh but don’t know,
That they eyes meeting mine don’t belong.

I look in the mirror-
All silver and shiny,
And don’t fear the darkness,
That we both have known.

I look in the mirror-
Dusty and old,
But still shining, and wonder-
What will it be like when I’m grown?

I look in the mirror-
They hold your soul you know.
And someone I’ve never been sure of,
Stares back,
And whispers the tales of old.

She’s young and she’s pretty,
But over the years she grown wise,
And in the depths of her dark greenish eyes
I see that this mirror will survive.

msp49 said...
I loved this, especially the last stanza! I wrote a poem about looking at my reflection before, but it came out depressing. What I like about this is that you're reflecting and taking things on a more positive note. Great job!

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
it was beautiful again!!!! very great job! very deep with meaning! great job and keep writing cuz your really good! This will get you noticed!!! :)(:

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really like this! i feel the same and i've always tried to write a poem where i look in the mirror and write down my feelings, except my inspiration has to come to me so it might be a while! sorry about the life story but yeah good work! :)

Delictious said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 10:32 am
I love how you use - in your poems. It's really nice and something that is unique to you, I've never really seen that. I also especially like when you said : "I look in the mirror- They hold your sould you know."
That's probably my fav line! Very nice poem!

CarrieAnn13 said...
Beautiful!  I love the little story your poem tells. :)

hanging_girl_666This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
One of my favorite poems on Teen Ink. Truly astounding.

Ha-5-rika said...
It is a wonderful poem. Shows deep feelings. I recently wrote a first chapter of a novel, The haunts of Love. It is my first entry. Will you please give me some feedback on it when time permits you? 

simplieme said...
I love this! I just submitted a poem writeen about a mirror, although it takes a different aproach, not quite opposite, more, perpendicular? Please check it out in a couple weeks when its up and tell me what you think!

DaylightDarkness replied...
Yeah, no problem, let me know when it comes up. ^^

silver_moonlit10 said...
Excellently done.  Shows hurt and love, experience and anticipation.